Option to turn off log

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
7decoeur

Option to turn off log

Post by 7decoeur »

I was wondering if there was an option to turn off the log for card games such as tarot, belote, hearts etc.? I know irl many people are a stickler to the rules in which only a last trick can be seen, with the discard pile face down. When some players seem to take a long time over their turn in a card game - which are essentially rapid games - one has to suspect that they are running their eyes over the log to see which cards have fallen negating the need to recall whether you are holding the trick taking card or not. Ok, it won't stop someone with a pad and pencil jotting everything down but I'm sure most people aren't that ridiculous. By masking the cards that have fallen we would be mimicking a real life card game (and exercising our minds) far better.
Woodruff

Re: Option to turn off log

Post by Woodruff »

Hi 7decoeur,

This kind of option does not exist on any card game in the BGA platform, even those developed by the BGA team.
Even if you states entirely right on the problems the logs causes, I would not change this because like you said, if one wants to know the information about all the tricks, he can have it anyway. People who wants to do that and have programmatic skills would be advantaged against the others because they can even do this automatically.
Therefore, I leave that log as is it to make everybody equal, but I know it's a tough problem and this is my own opinion.

Cheers,

Tcheby
Een

Post by Een »

Actually for Jaipur, only the few last logs are visible, the others fade away (not saying this is a solution for tarot, just so that you can look at it and see if it's interesting or not).
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

The more you realise it, the more you notice it, that BGA sometimes unwittingly provides 'player aids'.

Draughts for instance, highlights squares when you can take a piece. This is not always apparent especially when taking a 2nd piece and 3rd piece after the 1st piece. In real-life you would need to notice this all yourself, this is indeed part of the players visual analysis required to be a better player, letting the computer do it for you is not strictly correct. Neutreeko also does this for you.
7decoeur

Post by 7decoeur »

Een wrote:Actually for Jaipur, only the few last logs are visible, the others fade away (not saying this is a solution for tarot, just so that you can look at it and see if it's interesting or not).
Thanks for giving it some thought - I'd forgotten about Jaipur (much like I'd forgotten about my thread, so sorry for the delay in replying!). From memory Jaipur does hide the cards well so yes it is interesting. Though I guess by the lack of discussion here most people seem happy to keep the cards visible (or don't browse the forum) and I wouldn't want you developers to waste precious time just for the likes of me!

Return to “French tarot”