[ARENA Season 0] Switch between 4p and 3p versions

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Gormenghast

Re: [ARENA Season 0] Switch between 4p and 3p versions

Post by Gormenghast » 30 January 2020, 05:44

I'd love to have a 7 player 7 Wonders arena. Something's magical with 7 and 7, I guess.

r3z3nd3

Post by r3z3nd3 » 06 February 2020, 15:47

Arena is perfect as it is.

More than 4 players is too random. Leave that to simple mode.

Now for alternating seasons on 3 and 4. I am not a fan of 3p, as a player have access to all resources and that takes away a lot of hard decisions from the game. But I guess I would just be skipping the 3p seasons.

RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix » 06 February 2020, 17:40

I like to play 5 or 7 players. In my eyes, the game really shines here.

2 very popular and successful 5-player tournaments were organised here:
https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=2356793

The 'more competitive with less players' argument is very thin. It's just more of a known-known that you're playing with. So when it's this situation you just do this to win, and if it's that situation then you just do this to screw them up. If it's a larger player base then you need to be more dynamic in your positioning.

With fewer players you're just trying to highlight the counting cards and possible denial of resources\certain cards as a strategy when I don't see this as the main theme of the game.

In 3-player, just because you know to bury the only double stone from giza/rhodes doesn't sound like a high-level tactic to me.
And in 4-player the high number of resources just means in later rounds it's more of a case of the brown cards you get left with, rather than picking up the right ones during the round with the other cards.

r3z3nd3

Post by r3z3nd3 » 06 February 2020, 19:18

r3z3nd3 wrote:
06 February 2020, 15:47

Now for alternating seasons on 3 and 4. I am not a fan of 3p, as a player have access to all resources and that takes away a lot of hard decisions from the game. But I guess I would just be skipping the 3p seasons.
Actually, now that I am plying more of Arena, I think allowing 3p player games along with 4p would be better so people wouldn't be left out on tables. But I dislike very much 3p

Serilo

Post by Serilo » 08 February 2020, 14:40

r3z3nd3 wrote:
06 February 2020, 15:47

Yeah but it also takes away some ... things you usually lose to even if you try. These hard decisions you talk about.... some of them you can`t make at 4p. You cant avoid being short of something like loom if your non-neighbor plays it first round(unless you have THAT wonder). You have a gigantic problem if your non-neighbor refuses to play military, which you cannot force them to. If they play science, you usually don`t win.

dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 » 08 February 2020, 23:25

@Serilo: Exactly, thanks! I'd also say that there are truly hard and interesting decsions in 4p, 5p, 6p, 7p, but the frequency of these decisions is lower than in 3p. Just because in the 4p+ games you end up more often in unlucky situations with no power to do sth about. Or let's say you have more often the feeling at game end that many of your decisions didn't matter at all.

Return to “7 Wonders”