Statistical Analysis of BGA 7 Wonders Data

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
n00bd00d

Statistical Analysis of BGA 7 Wonders Data

Post by n00bd00d » 09 April 2020, 18:00

Just curious: would it be possible to do a statistical analysis of 7 Wonders data from this site? For example, which wonder boards have a higher winning percentage? What is the average point distribution for each category for each wonder board when they're victorious? What about if you control for player ability by only looking at higher ranked players? I'm no statistician and realize that only so much actionable information could be gleaned from the data, and know that the process of collecting and analyzing the data would be tedious, but it sure would be interesting and helpful to see as a supplement to this forum's valuable posts on game strategy.

Thoughts?

Marcus Paezius

Re: Statistical Analysis of BGA 7 Wonders Data

Post by Marcus Paezius » 01 May 2020, 12:40

Hi, you have this guide : https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/691370 ... -7-wonders
Very interesting !

RobArbon

Post by RobArbon » 07 May 2020, 08:59

n00bd00d wrote:
09 April 2020, 18:00
Just curious: would it be possible to do a statistical analysis of 7 Wonders data from this site? For example, which wonder boards have a higher winning percentage? What is the average point distribution for each category for each wonder board when they're victorious? What about if you control for player ability by only looking at higher ranked players? I'm no statistician and realize that only so much actionable information could be gleaned from the data, and know that the process of collecting and analyzing the data would be tedious, but it sure would be interesting and helpful to see as a supplement to this forum's valuable posts on game strategy.

Thoughts?
I would be really interested in this too! I'm a data scientist at a university - I'm sure we could try and publish it somewhere if we did some fancy machine learning on it.

Maludico

Post by Maludico » 28 June 2020, 21:59

I agree with you: it would be interesting to see such statistics! I invite you to vote for the suggestion that i made in the proper section of the website, which is linked here:
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=13572

In this suggestion we may ask for the statistics at least for each player

Well, in any case you need a premium account to see your statistics. On the other side, I'm afraid that the authors of the game are even more interested than us in collecting datas about which city is stronger and which is weaker, and they'd like as well to keep the datas for themselves: imagine what you will feel if someone will tell you that with Babylon you have 7% less probability of winning than with Rhodi...

Return to “7 Wonders”