Wait time = too little?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
VinceV

Wait time = too little?

Post by VinceV »

I don't know if this can be adjusted by the GM/host, but I have found in a few games that there is not a lot of free time to make decisions. It's three minutes total, with only 10 seconds added each time. Usually it takes 5-10 seconds to decide, but sometimes it takes more if you want to scan other players' boards or hover over an effect.

But the bigger problem I have noticed is when a player has an ability such as playing a card from the discard for free. That decision sometimes takes a bit longer and involved a bit more calculation and I have seen a few players (including myself) use up my allotted time for the game and it means future turns always have these red warnings.

Also, I have chosen a card before, then while waiting for other players to decide, I might change my mind...and that time penalty hit can surprise you, because if you choose early, you have very little time lost, but if you change your mind maybe 15 seconds later, all of a sudden it seems like you pay that full 15 second penalty. I guess that's 'fair', but it shocks you when your time goes from 2:40 to 2:15 in one second because you made a second choice.

Hopefully it can maybe be adjusted to 20 seconds added each time? I might just be a slow thinker. Oh yeah, there is really no time to chat if it's just 10 seconds per play, if you ever had to ask a question.

Vince
N_Faker

Re: Wait time = too little?

Post by N_Faker »

Play on 'normal' instead?

As the playerbase gets more familiar with the game and ui they will manage to play faster. You aren't supposed to have a lot of time on fast.
-
VinceV wrote:Also, I have chosen a card before, then while waiting for other players to decide, I might change my mind...and that time penalty hit can surprise you, because if you choose early, you have very little time lost, but if you change your mind maybe 15 seconds later, all of a sudden it seems like you pay that full 15 second penalty. I guess that's 'fair', but it shocks you when your time goes from 2:40 to 2:15 in one second because you made a second choice.
... that shouldn't happen.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

When joining tables, please make sure to check the game speed -- most games have a decently wide variety, from slow to fast. This is an option set by the table creator. There have been other threads in the past of "fast speed is too slow, we need to encourage faster play!" It is an option at table setup, just like randomness of wonder sides, etc. If you don't like the settings, don't join. If setting up the table, make sure to set it how you want it.

As far as the time jump when changing one's mind: I haven't seen this myself nor looked at the code, so I could be entirely wrong on this. (And like N_Faker said, I don't believe this should happen.) However, I can see the logic in doing it this way, to prevent someone from just making a quick click (since cards are organized by affordability) and then taking all the thinking time they want (up until the last opponent plays) to make their actual decision. Not a perfect solution, but no system is perfect.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Jest Phulin wrote:However, I can see the logic in doing it this way, to prevent someone from just making a quick click (since cards are organized by affordability) and then taking all the thinking time they want (up until the last opponent plays) to make their actual decision. Not a perfect solution, but no system is perfect.
I think anyone that put in the effort to do what you describe has earned their extra few seconds, if even that. Once you know how to play, you will usually stay at the time cap during most of the game.
VinceV

Post by VinceV »

Thanks, guys. So I guess it's that I have been playing on some games at fast speed--which usually is no problem for me, except in some of those 'choosing to play a discard for free scenarios'.

Vince
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

I've played a few 7 player games on fast (no beginners), and there was always 3-4 people running out of time. It may be best to increase the 'time per turn' just a smidgen.
Avid David

Post by Avid David »

N_Faker wrote:
Jest Phulin wrote:However, I can see the logic in doing it this way, to prevent someone from just making a quick click (since cards are organized by affordability) and then taking all the thinking time they want (up until the last opponent plays) to make their actual decision. Not a perfect solution, but no system is perfect.
I think anyone that put in the effort to do what you describe has earned their extra few seconds, if even that. Once you know how to play, you will usually stay at the time cap during most of the game.
Also, someone doing that risks getting stuck with first choice if all others choose before he rechooses. If the point of the clock is to prevent dawdling, then I think that the rechooser should not get docked time.
ludique

Post by ludique »

I try not to join quick games anymore

10 s is clearly not enough to decide, when you want to play who else played this card, meaning you have to hover over the cards to be sure it's the same, check at the bottom of the page how much of this card exist, which neighbour to give money to...

It's frequent that a lot of the players finish overtime.

And then quick Tokaido is 20 s per turn, when there is way less descision.

If you agree 10 s /turn for a quick 7 wonders is too quick, vote for this bug
https://boardgamearena.com/#!bug?id=10484

Return to “7 Wonders”