7 wonders - orientation of trading posts

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Liallan

Re: 7 wonders - orientation of trading posts

Post by Liallan »

I'm glad someone else has posted about this, although I have a bit different take on it, just a completely visual one. But I still feel the trading is confusing. I really don't care that much about the names on the cards or seeing it as east and west.

What I care about is left and right. My problem... and actually I don't think I'm the one with the problem... is that I look at the "table" setup and I still know which way is left and right for me, but the game is made as though I don't.

If I got up from the table and walked away from it somewhere, I could still look at my spot at the table and know which way is left and which way is right. I know which direction is which going around the table. I could look at the person across the table from me and still know which way is going left and which is going right (even though it's backwards from my point of view). But I still know which direction is which. Otherwise how could I tell which way people are passing cards? I know which direction the cards should be going, even for the player across the table from me. I can still manage to teach that person the game and know which way is which. The game interface is set up as though I'm the one across the table, but as though I can't figure that out for someone across the table.

So I feel the game screws me over a bit because I actually have the visual ability to know my directions regardless of the view. I have to reorient my brain to think of the other players as being behind me, so that the "left" player is to the back left over my left shoulder. That's a pretty awkward way to play. I would never, ever have my back to the other players like that. I should be facing into the middle, and from that point of view, the arrows are backwards. You'll also never convince me otherwise.

Which is why I won't even play the thing, which is rather disappointing.
Ossido

Post by Ossido »

Regardless of the name, this could be solved by changing the little arrow on the card. Instead of an arrow pointing left or right, there could be a circular arrow, curling clockwise or counter-clockwise, which is what matters.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Ossido wrote:Regardless of the name, this could be solved by changing the little arrow on the card. Instead of an arrow pointing left or right, there could be a circular arrow, curling clockwise or counter-clockwise, which is what matters.
That's a curious idea. It could match the Hands Rotation, which looks backwards but is indeed the correction direction.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

Liallan wrote:
Ossido wrote:Regardless of the name, this could be solved by changing the little arrow on the card. Instead of an arrow pointing left or right, there could be a circular arrow, curling clockwise or counter-clockwise, which is what matters.
That's a curious idea. It could match the Hands Rotation, which looks backwards but is indeed the correction direction.
Yes. I like it. I could see this being a solution to the potentially confusing card symbols.
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

Liallan wrote:So I feel the game screws me over a bit because I actually have the visual ability to know my directions regardless of the view. I have to reorient my brain to think of the other players as being behind me, so that the "left" player is to the back left over my left shoulder. That's a pretty awkward way to play. I would never, ever have my back to the other players like that. I should be facing into the middle, and from that point of view, the arrows are backwards. You'll also never convince me otherwise.
I really, really, really, totaly agree with you!
Its confusing and strange.
Lyncia

Post by Lyncia »

Hey !
The trading posts have the right orientation. If a player get one, you just have to do a rotation to understand with which player he has the reduction ! The reason of this BGA choice is that the current player position is on the top of the screen.
Regards,
Cowboy Georges

Post by Cowboy Georges »

Cappie wrote: 01 September 2018, 09:28
Liallan wrote:So I feel the game screws me over a bit because I actually have the visual ability to know my directions regardless of the view. I have to reorient my brain to think of the other players as being behind me, so that the "left" player is to the back left over my left shoulder. That's a pretty awkward way to play. I would never, ever have my back to the other players like that. I should be facing into the middle, and from that point of view, the arrows are backwards. You'll also never convince me otherwise.
I really, really, really, totaly agree with you!
Its confusing and strange.
+1000
The player on the right of your screen is on the left in the game. And an Arrow pointing to the right means you can trade for 1g with the player on… the left of your sreen…
Great !
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Cowboy Georges wrote: 30 March 2020, 10:44+1000
The player on the right of your screen is on the left in the game. And an Arrow pointing to the right means you can trade for 1g with the player on… the left of your sreen…
Great !
What you state is incorrect.
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

CB Droege wrote: 17 August 2018, 14:04 Imagine all the boards around a table, but turned so that the bottom is toward the middle of the table, because everyone is sitting inside the donut table. That's how the trading orients on BGA. It shows you all of the player cards right side up for ease of reading, but it does work out if you imagine rotating all the cards to bottom-in orientation.
I think the quoted statement should help anyone having trouble.
Bhaouloute

Post by Bhaouloute »

The way it used to be was right and clear. Why did all this happen ?

Return to “7 Wonders”