More Arena format variety?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs

How should the player count for Arena games change between the seasons over one year?

Current format: 4p - 3p - 4p - 3p
23%
Add 5 players: 4p - 3p - 4p - 5p
54%
Only 4 players: 4p - 4p - 4p - 4p
23%

Total votes: 61

Ze Monstah

Re: More Arena format variety?

Post by Ze Monstah »

:idea:
Last edited by Ze Monstah on 08 April 2022, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you a ZeMon, make ZeMonade...
https://youtu.be/YlmKmM3WCpM
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

Ze Monstah wrote: 30 April 2021, 02:06
frogstar_A wrote: 30 April 2021, 00:30 7 Wonders is virtually unplayable with 4 players, because the gray resources are too rare.

I only play seasons when it's 3 players.

I guess I would be happy with 3-5-3-5 but that wasn't a poll option.
No... they are as rare as in 3, and it seldom bothers.

And in 4, the brown resources are more frequent than in 3. Funny you forgot to mention that, since in 3 and 7, some wonders have big issues by not being able to get all the browns needed to build a certain stage.

IMO, 4 and 5... are "resource paradises", and 4 is definitely > 3.
No you have missed the point. There are the same number of gray resources in a 4p game as 3p, BUT (i) there are more players, so you only get to see them 75% as often and (ii) most importantly, in a 3p game you can always use them even if your opponents play them, but in a 4p game you cannot use the resources of the player opposite you.

If you can't get access to at least 1 of all 7 resources then Age III just becomes a mess.

As you say, there are more brown resources in 4p - but that's why I didn't mention them: browns aren't a problem. But browns being OK doesn't 'offset' gray being a problem. Yes some wonders can struggle to get them in 3p and 7p, but then some wonders are just better than others - that's a feature of the game with any number of players.
Wonderful Plays

Post by Wonderful Plays »

You don't need access to all gray to play efficiently except for some of the wonders that have ways to get them more easy. 4p is completely fine.
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

The current poll seem to favor one variant. However, the number of votes does in no way reflect the popularity of the 7Wonders Arena.

I suggest to the BGA admins/mods to put this poll into the feeds of 7Wonders players to increase its visibility.
Wonderful Plays

Post by Wonderful Plays »

I suggests posting this to "7 Wonders players" group, but only admins/mods can do that.
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

:idea:
Last edited by Ze Monstah on 08 April 2022, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you a ZeMon, make ZeMonade...
https://youtu.be/YlmKmM3WCpM
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

The suggestion from the poll has been implemented as new format for 7 Wonders Arena (see Season 6 announcement).

Thanks for creating this poll.
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

sourisdudesert wrote: 06 July 2021, 17:55 The suggestion from the poll has been implemented as new format for 7 Wonders Arena (see Season 6 announcement).

Thanks for creating this poll.
You made decisions based off the results of an inherently flawed poll??
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

bananasplay wrote: 10 July 2021, 00:34 You made decisions based off the results of an inherently flawed poll??
In what way is this poll inherently flawed? If you are thinking into the direction mentioned in the other thread, that the 5p option was somehow "overpowered", let*s think about it.
Let's imagine we had a fourth option 4p-5p-4p-5p, maybe it had 25% of the votes and 4p-3p-4p-5p also 25% of the votes. Still there were 50% of people voting a for at least one 5p season. It is totally reasonable to include 5p then in the wheel.

It was not about finding a majority. It was about getting a clearer picture of the opinions of people who care. Even if only 40% were voting for a 5p season, it would be reasonable by the admins to think about adding 5p.

If this poll had a flaw, it was the low number of votes it got. Fortunately the number of played games will show in the future what is popular and what is not.

Return to “7 Wonders”