Centering the wind rose

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
volkerk

Centering the wind rose

Post by volkerk »

The new Taluva implementation has one weakness - upon loading the game, the display is always centered on the wind rose, but since the first tile is forced to be placed well below the wind rose, the entire island will be built below the wind rose. Before one's move one therefore always has to use the 3D controls to scroll down until the whole island comes into view. This is not an issue while playing live, when one stays in-game, but it is quite a nuisance when playing asynchronously. (In games with many players there's also scrolling down the page one has to do to look at their player info, but this page scroll doesn't scroll the game window, but scrolls the 3D controls out of sight - the two different forms of scrolling just add to the confusion.)

So my suggestion is place the initial tile ON the windrose rather than below it. That should help getting the island more centered when the page first loads. Ideally the game would actually calculate the needed level of zoom & pan and ensure that the display loads with the island fully shown and centered, but that's perhaps asking a bit too much. I'd really appreciate even a very minor improvement.
Last edited by volkerk on 11 December 2018, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Morgalad

Re: Centering the wind rose

Post by Morgalad »

Hi,
The position of the wind rose is by design, see the playmat that is included in the "deluxe" version of the game:
Cheers...
Morgalad

Developer of: Incan Gold , Takara Island , Taluva and Veggie Garden
volkerk

Post by volkerk »

In your pictures the initial tile is actually centered on the windrose, which is not how you have implemented it!

But what does that really have to do with it? The point of my request is to center the island that's being built in the display when loading the game. How you achieve that isn't my problem - I merely observed that it always loads with the windrose in the center, so I suggested to start the island there. You could just as well change the loading code to center the display differently, I don't care. But for usability reasons I'd like to be able to see the island when I load the game, instead of just seeing the upper rim and having to scroll 5-10 times with the 3-D controls before being able to do anything.
Last edited by volkerk on 11 April 2019, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
volkerk

Post by volkerk »

Also note that since players would have to rotate the island first in order to see the rear (partially hidden) parts of the island, they are far more likely to add to the island in the front and at the sides, exacerbating the issue of the island being off the center of the screen. That's why I suggested placing the first tile on the wind rose rather than below it - because you're in essence wasting half the "playing area".
But I just get the feeling that you haven't even understood the request :(
Anything I could do to explain myself better?
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

The wind rose background image really has nothing to with this.

Currently, on initial load the camera viewpoint is roughly centered on the first tile at zoom 100%. I think your request can be reworded like this: on initial load calculate the bounding box of the island and center the camera viewpoint in the middle of the played tiles at zoom 100%.
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

quietmint wrote:The wind rose background image really has nothing to with this.

Currently, on initial load the camera viewpoint is roughly centered on the first tile at zoom 100%. I think your request can be reworded like this: on initial load calculate the bounding box of the island and center the camera viewpoint in the middle of the played tiles at zoom 100%.
Yes, exactly. That would be amazing. This is one of the reasons I stopped playing because I often take turns on my phone and using the 3d feature makes moving the screen very hard. It's really really hard at the end of the game because the 3d causes the device to get bogged down.
volkerk

Post by volkerk »

Yes, that would be a perfect solution. Thanks for listening! And I want to be clear that I love the game already, but with this improvement it would be even more fantastic - and a lot more user-friendly.
QuantumForce

Post by QuantumForce »

JCase16 wrote: 12 February 2019, 18:53 I often take turns on my phone and using the 3d feature makes moving the screen very hard. It's really really hard at the end of the game because the 3d causes the device to get bogged down.
Even on the computer I always begin by zooming out and re-centering the island, which is rather slow. Automatically centering would be a big improvement. Even better would be remembering the position and rotation from the last time I viewed the game (ideally per-device).

Is there a way to turn off the 3D "experimental" view? I would sacrifice graphic quality if I could see the whole board immediately.

Return to “taluva”