Stuck

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
BartoszWaw

Stuck

Post by BartoszWaw »

I am at the end of the route and I have no money to pull up the barge upstream. At the same time, I can not take another loan (I already have 4).
Can I do anything other then abandon the game?
RicardoRix

Re: Stuck

Post by RicardoRix »

Looks like your stuck at Port Ruhrort.
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

The rules did not foresee this situation, and that's true for the dev, too. So at the moment you seem to be stuck, that's true. We have to add something there, but what? Eliminate a player in this situation?
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

If you're strictly following game rules, then the player is not eliminated, they have still amassed some points, maybe enough to win.
You could automatically play for them, but again maybe they want to choose the Transport action to influence the coal placement.

There is the wage action and the Inn, but maybe you have not yet accomplished those developments.

For a new rule idea, you could:
1. Lewis & Clark style, reset everything.
2. Forgo a turn to gain 2 Thalers.
3. If there are no debts left, then trade 2 VP's for 2 Thalers.
4. Eliminate the player.
5. Trade development cubes for Thalers.
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

I would prefer a solution combined with the debt management (no. 3).
If a player tries to take a fifth debt and some other conditions are true (player has no money, player is in Ruhrort [more general: there is no available depot downriver]) he gets 2 Thalers and looses a certain amount of VP.

Then the game could go on, and there are quite few changes to the code.
Frenchwolfie

Post by Frenchwolfie »

Hello DrKarotte, I'm in the same situation in Table #46362050 following a miscalculation on my part, and I don't know how to "unstisck" myself from port Ruhrort. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking and I do not see how to "pass", or to "resign" cleanly without quitting the hard way and incurring a loss of reputation - this I do not want to do. So I must leave my opponents waiting at this stage. What could I do other than that ?

As for the suggestion discussed in the thread I would agree to elaborate on the rule point Saligo underlined in the bug report : "Note: In rare cases, if a player does not have any warehouses in his pool, he may take the next warehouse from the game round track and place it on a debt space on his player board. The player receives 2 Thalers and immediately loses 1 victory point. In the unlikely event that the player has no warehouses remaining on the game round track, he may take 2 Thalers and loses 2 victory points." 2T for 2VP would be a fair bargain.
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

I have now added the possibilty to take a fifth debt, in the case that a player has not more than 1 Thaler left. This is intended as a single "emergency" move to make sure a legal move is possible.
I have asked Thomas the game inventor about this and he suggests to take 3 VP in this case.
Sorry for anyone who was in this situation and that it took some time to add this new option.
Frenchwolfie

Post by Frenchwolfie »

Thank you DrKarotte. I'm unstuck. In this case is it really a debt, as it cannot be repaid ? It's more some kind of "subside" for emergency cases.
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

These "emergency" debts only count for the statistics ("debts taken"). They cannot be repaid. There is no need to do so as they do not score negatively at the end of the game.

Return to “The Ruhr: A Story of Coal Trade”