Churchill and Gandhi

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
CyclopB

Churchill and Gandhi

Post by CyclopB »

Both Churchill and Gandhi are useful for defensive players who want to milk some additional points from their leaders. Personally, however, I deem Churchill a much better choice over Gandhi in most cases, as
(1) Churchill scores 3 points instead of 2.
(2) Gandhi by no means provides a certain protection. A simple Military Theory would completely breach his defence for most opponents, and you are up to your opponents' luck in drawing military cards. Very often you will have to end up building an army yourself, and
(3) When you have just built a somewhat sizeable army, your opponents can simply destroy their own, especially in 1v1, knowing that you are going to be stuck for the rest of the game with Gandhi and not allowed to attack. As for Churchill, no other Age III leader would like to start an armament race with him.
(4) Although Churchill has a choose-one ability, the 3T + 3R is immensely powerful, and it may help one to score later through Impact of Technology, Impact of Variety, Impact of Strength, and First Space Flight etc.
Maybe you have novel uses of Gandhi? Share with us!
powodzenia

Re: Churchill and Gandhi

Post by powodzenia »

I agree completely. The Gandhi is "last resort" which rarely helps. Typically slows agression by 1 turn. Many players forget the Churchill's second ability of scoring 3 points because it is not printed on the cards (live boardgaming).

I would personally add at least 1 or 2 culture points to Gandhi, and he still would be weaker.

Question is - should the leaders be equal? Maybe this is a design choice that some things are better?
CyclopB

Post by CyclopB »

I do not have problems with some leaders being better, but they should be different so each of them will have their chances. If you ask me to choose between Churchill and Gandhi, I will always pick Churchill except perhaps my opponent somehow has a super enormous army and very little military point, which almost never happen with any player with regular skill level or above.
admitted

Post by admitted »

Gandhi delays wars for at most one round. Most military players would rack up Constitutional Monarchy + Military Theory II/III that Gandhi's ability can't stop someone from declaring a War over Culture. Add in a patriotism and I can develop military while declaring a WoC. Worse yet, he risks getting assassinated then he gets warred if he ignores military.

As for Churchill, I disagree about him being a "defensive" leader. I like to use him in the offensive end in 3/4p because it's very hard to be strong in both science and resource, and Churchill allows you to build military while ignoring one aspect of production. That's why all my 100+ military games come from using Churchill as my leader (achieved 121 military once against 300-600 elo opponents here) and it is very fun to be the kingmaker there deciding who comes second. If you decide not to use Churchill's ability? Fine, 3 points per round which is already more than Gandhi's..

Return to “Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization”