Do you participate in crowfunding campaigns?

General discussion on board games
vichy

Do you participate in crowfunding campaigns?

Post by vichy » 01 July 2019, 18:30

I have friends who sign up for all the new games that appear on Kickstarter. I am rarely interested. On the one hand I have received some news in which the participants wait for their orders months and months and never arrive. On the other hand, I'm not in such a hurry nor am I a collector.

Caffe Latte

Re: Do you participate in crowfunding campaigns?

Post by Caffe Latte » 01 July 2019, 18:38

No. I play classics and actually hardly believe new woooow game might be invented....

vichy

Post by vichy » 01 July 2019, 18:55

Caffe Latte wrote:
01 July 2019, 18:38
No. I play classics and actually hardly believe new woooow game might be invented....
Do not like any modern game? to give an example of games that take time and that have been making an important gap among gamers: pandemic, colonists of catan, magic the gathering, escape from colditz ... there are very good games of different styles (party, eurogame , ameritrash, cooperative...)

void_presence

Post by void_presence » 12 July 2019, 03:00

I don't typically, but there are a few I have funded on Kickstarter:

Xia: Legends of a Drift System, Embers of a Forsaken Star expansion
Edge of Darkness by AEG
Iron Harvest (video game based on the same universe Scythe is based on).

I have a torn view on crowdfunding:
On one hand, I don't really the average person on Kickstarter who may or may not fulfill their promises to backers, so I only trust established entities (companies/people) that I have a stronger confidence in.
On the other hand, well established companies should not be on crowdfunding sites as they don't need it--but the line that defines 'well established' is a fuzzy one, for example, AEG (who is publishing Edge of Darkness above), is well established, but I see the reason for the kickstarter as the game in this case would bee too costly for the mass market. That being said, that kind of product I guess would be excusable even for well-established entities.

Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin » 12 July 2019, 05:05

I rarely buy a game before playing it, which cuts out most Kickstarter and crowdfunded games. The only time I remember buying a Kickstarter version was when I wanted a copy of a game, but the old version had been discontinued and they were putting the new version on Kickstarter.

Return to “Discuss about board games”