Do you participate in crowfunding campaigns?

General discussion on board games
vichy

Do you participate in crowfunding campaigns?

Post by vichy »

I have friends who sign up for all the new games that appear on Kickstarter. I am rarely interested. On the one hand I have received some news in which the participants wait for their orders months and months and never arrive. On the other hand, I'm not in such a hurry nor am I a collector.
Caffe Latte

Re: Do you participate in crowfunding campaigns?

Post by Caffe Latte »

No. I play classics and actually hardly believe new woooow game might be invented....
vichy

Post by vichy »

Caffe Latte wrote: 01 July 2019, 18:38 No. I play classics and actually hardly believe new woooow game might be invented....
Do not like any modern game? to give an example of games that take time and that have been making an important gap among gamers: pandemic, colonists of catan, magic the gathering, escape from colditz ... there are very good games of different styles (party, eurogame , ameritrash, cooperative...)
void_presence

Post by void_presence »

I don't typically, but there are a few I have funded on Kickstarter:

Xia: Legends of a Drift System, Embers of a Forsaken Star expansion
Edge of Darkness by AEG
Iron Harvest (video game based on the same universe Scythe is based on).

I have a torn view on crowdfunding:
On one hand, I don't really the average person on Kickstarter who may or may not fulfill their promises to backers, so I only trust established entities (companies/people) that I have a stronger confidence in.
On the other hand, well established companies should not be on crowdfunding sites as they don't need it--but the line that defines 'well established' is a fuzzy one, for example, AEG (who is publishing Edge of Darkness above), is well established, but I see the reason for the kickstarter as the game in this case would bee too costly for the mass market. That being said, that kind of product I guess would be excusable even for well-established entities.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

I rarely buy a game before playing it, which cuts out most Kickstarter and crowdfunded games. The only time I remember buying a Kickstarter version was when I wanted a copy of a game, but the old version had been discontinued and they were putting the new version on Kickstarter.
Corwin007

Post by Corwin007 »

I do pledge on Kickstarter when either I know no one in my group will get the game, or I know the devs and love their games already, or... etc. I've been burned by it though (some bad games, some pledges that had to be canceled because the game never arrived - still got a refund), but overall my experience is good. Still, I only look at a few games because of my gaming time, that's more of a limit than the money and kickstarter inherent risks.
VampirX

Post by VampirX »

I pladge the games that I want to play and Won't find easyly in my retailers/internet.
Most of them are games that would not have been edited if not crowfounded.
Other next become success, like Santorini.
And some of the stretch goals are often nice additions.

For now, backed around 20 games and only got a small one I never recieved.
Horrorhiker

Post by Horrorhiker »

I've just backed Night of the Living Dead on Kickstarter, and that has broken my new years resolution to not back or buy any boardgame this year (due to various reasons, including time, money, dramas etc). Literally the first game I have purchased this year.

My personal opinion is that the crowdfunding phenomenon has been tainted a bit and turned into just another capitalist venture for manufacturers, as opposed to a way of the'little guy' getting their idea out. Obviously i'm now contributing to it again, but I'm a massive George Romero fanboy, and am into board games so I just couldn't say no. Unfortunately, it has triggered a tidal wave of game obsession after 11 months of doing so well.
As most of us realise, board gaming is a dangerously addictive and surprisingly expensive hobby, and the Crowdfunding process essentially adds gambling into the mix. Objectively that's not good.

On the other hand, It can still be an exciting and supportive way to buy games, if done sparingly and I guess a way that manufacturers can cut down on wasteful production, which 'keeps the Greta from the door'.

Return to “Discuss about board games”