Why do we need to pay to play at Complots ?

General discussion on board games
Dalhfire

Why do we need to pay to play at Complots ?

Post by Dalhfire »

Hi everyone,
I was a little bit annoyed when I saw that we need to be a Premium Member to play at "Complots".
Why do we need to pay to play such games?
I thought BGA was a free platform where a player can play as he wishes ...

Shame,

Dalhfire
nmego

Re: Why do we need to pay to play at Complots ?

Post by nmego »

You can still play "premium" games, you just can't create tables for them. You can still join premium tables though.

One of the reasons that some games are "premium", is because of the licensing. Companies get a share of what people pay for premium IIRC. If this system didn't exist, we probably wouldn't have games like 7wonders, RacefortheGalaxy and Complots available here.
voriki

Post by voriki »

The owner of the game decides the license.
The platform is free, you can join games free, but to start certain games you need a premium member.

Why do people complain about things not being for free? Are you bombarded with ads? No.
Would you like to be? You can choose.

A site like this doesn't run for free, it need servers to run everything, admins, developers, etc... They need to eat too.

And compared to how much fun you can get out of this, the price is actually very cheap.
Countess-Aleksey

Post by Countess-Aleksey »

Well Said voriki!
ViolentSilence

Post by ViolentSilence »

It isn't a public domain game somewhere is it? That'd be the only reason why it should be free, but even then, there are questions about how to fund the infrastructure that the players all take advantage of

Return to “Discuss about board games”