Errors in English

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Alberic15

Errors in English

Post by Alberic15 » 08 November 2019, 15:08

Hello,

I’m not sure I’m posting this to the right place, but I noticed a few English errors in the statistics that are displayed for Toc. The word “eated” is used twice (“Number of times the player eated opponents pawns” and “Number of times the player eated his own pawns or his teammates's”). This should be “ate” and not “eated”, which does not exist.

There is also a problem with the possessives (should be opponents’ pawns and teammates’ [if it’s possible to have several teammates; or teammate’s if there is only one teammate], not opponents pawns or teammates’s).

I realize almost nobody reads these statistics, but I thought I should post a message about them because I’m very sensitive when it comes to language quality.

Een

Re: Errors in English

Post by Een » 08 November 2019, 15:32

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this. English is not the mother tongue for all developers and sometimes there are mistakes in the English text.

To fix this type of errors, we have made it so that players can submit proposals for changes to the original English text from the translation headquarters https://boardgamearena.com/translationhq

Then changes are reviewed and validated and take effect the following day.

Robo65

Re: Errors in English

Post by Robo65 » 11 November 2019, 10:53

Een wrote:
08 November 2019, 15:32
we have made it so that players can submit proposals for changes to the original English text from the translation headquarters
Ok, I found it. You need to translate english to english :) But there are about 40 texts using "eat"...

The term "eating", for sending a pawn back to before start , is bothering me. My research says that it's a french idiomatic term. I don't really know the accepted english idiomatic term, but I think it should be "capture" (the Pachisi-Page on en-wikipedia uses "capture" and "kill").

I wrote a BGA private message to Woodruff, asking him to think about this.

Greetings
Robo

Return to “Toc”