Rules clarification - start space protection with Jacks

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Jest Phulin

Rules clarification - start space protection with Jacks

Post by Jest Phulin »

OK, I understand that when I move one of my pawns from off the board to the start space that it is protected until I move it. This protection means that it cannot be captured/eaten, nor moved by someone else playing a Jack.

However, I do not seem to be able to move this piece, my own, with my own Jack.

Protection implies not having something unpleasant forced on you. But if I want to move my piece mostly around the board when advancing my opponent just a little, this is my choice and not my opponent's choice.

Is this by design? (My French isn't strong enough to read the French rules, which I realize the game is based on.)

Thanks for the clarification.
diamant

Re: Rules clarification - start space protection with Jacks

Post by diamant »

Jest Phulin wrote: 14 February 2020, 22:25Protection implies not having something unpleasant forced on you. But if I want to move my piece mostly around the board when advancing my opponent just a little, this is my choice and not my opponent's choice.
An opposing piece on your starting space can be eaten if you have an ace or a king and a piece in your reserve.
If you could endanger an opposing piece by exchanging it with the protected piece on your starting space, it would no longer be just a protection.

You may play the jack by involving one of your unprotected pieces in play, even if it is on your starting space.

That said, there are many variations to this game.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Ah. So if I had 2 aces/kings and a jack, I could essentially eat an opponent's piece from anywhere on the board, and this prevents that. OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Lotus Blossom

Post by Lotus Blossom »

Well, not quite. Your opponent still has a move in hand unless the player before played a ten. But definitely not something you can predict.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Hi,

That is design indeed: I had to pick among all the diversity of rules available for this game like I have said in other alike posts.
I play this version IRL: a pawn that has just entered the game in its base is not pickable for exchange, even from the player who control that pawn.
Later, I may implement variation for the Jack including the possibility to use it for exchange from your base.
Take care!

Woodruff
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Implemented!

Return to “Toc”