letter tycoon

Hot and crispy games just out of the oven
Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on: https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
mermel

letter tycoon

Post by mermel »

Only in english available? :D
ViolentSilence

Re: letter tycoon

Post by ViolentSilence »

I'm guessing they want to get the interface stable first, then slowly import the other languages where they can before they release it from Beta
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

I was disallowed 'strim'

I'm guessing you may get a lot of complaints about words that aren't covered in the games internal dictionary.
TrevorM

Post by TrevorM »

Game looks interesting. Is there going to be an option to choose between UK and/or US English?
ViolentSilence

Post by ViolentSilence »

TrevorM wrote: 04 November 2020, 11:06 Game looks interesting. Is there going to be an option to choose between UK and/or US English?
If it does, will it need to change the values on some of the cards? I believe z is used less in UK English in words like analyse vs analyze?

I'm now curious how Canadian, Australian and New Zealand English compare too, if they are all wholly one or the other (but with slightly different slang that might not be known) or if they have a mix of the two. Fun one for the developers to pick through... Then you add the dictionary issues so should the game use an automatic check, or a player challenge system which presumably the tabletop game does? (And how would you stop a dodgy group exploiting the challenge system to boost ELO?...)

Starting to see why people might prefer to develop abstract games! Really glad to have some word ones starting to appear on here though
personamb

Post by personamb »

Enjoying the game very much, thanks for implementation.

In discussing with a few of my opponents (with much higher Elo than myself), the game is often decided if somebody happens to get B and J, as the x4 combo can pretty easily create consistent 16+ point turns with very little counterplay, and several people have expressed that the game would be better if the combination wasn't quite so strong.

I'd love it if the game stacked them as an x3 multiplier, instead of an x4 multiplier. It's a strong combo and should be rewarded, but it feels legitimately gamebreaking right now.
ufm

Post by ufm »

personamb wrote: 19 November 2020, 05:43 Enjoying the game very much, thanks for implementation.

In discussing with a few of my opponents (with much higher Elo than myself), the game is often decided if somebody happens to get B and J, as the x4 combo can pretty easily create consistent 16+ point turns with very little counterplay, and several people have expressed that the game would be better if the combination wasn't quite so strong.

I'd love it if the game stacked them as an x3 multiplier, instead of an x4 multiplier. It's a strong combo and should be rewarded, but it feels legitimately gamebreaking right now.
Yup, that combination easily breaks the game.
I try to get B and J asap by discarding many unused cards to cycle through the deck, but sometimes it just happens.
AxemJinx

Post by AxemJinx »

I'd also like to suggest adding an option to replace the x2 multiplier bonuses with +$2 additive bonuses instead, including the Q card. Alternatively, add an option to change the multiplier stacking so that two x2 bonuses results in a x3, not a x4 (and a x4 instead of x8 for three x2 bonuses). I think either of these (preferably the former) would make games' outcomes more consistently tight between two players of roughly equal experience.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

AxemJinx wrote: 25 November 2020, 01:21 I'd also like to suggest adding an option to replace the x2 multiplier bonuses with +$2 additive bonuses instead, including the Q card. Alternatively, add an option to change the multiplier stacking so that two x2 bonuses results in a x3, not a x4 (and a x4 instead of x8 for three x2 bonuses). I think either of these (preferably the former) would make games' outcomes more consistently tight between two players of roughly equal experience.
Is that an official variant ? If not, BGA is not making house rules, so you would need to convince the publisher first before this can be implemented here.
CraftyBird

Post by CraftyBird »

I believe the best way to balance gameplay would be to get the publisher to make an official variant where the power-up patents cost more than $2. That would lessen their impact and, in most cases, prevent tipping the balance so heavily early in the game,

Return to “"Beta" games”