What to do when a new version is totally broken

Hot and crispy games just out of the oven
Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on: https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ExpendableEnsign

What to do when a new version is totally broken

Post by ExpendableEnsign »

There's a new broken version of Alhambra on the site. Old games can still be viewed and replayed fine. So the old working version still exists in some form. When a new version is broken, is there any way on BGA to start a game with an old, working version instead? It would be great if there was some way to select version on a beta game and therefore still be able to play it when a new version is unplayable.
Tisaac

Re: What to do when a new version is totally broken

Post by Tisaac »

ExpendableEnsign wrote: 19 January 2021, 02:34 There's a new broken version of Alhambra on the site. Old games can still be viewed and replayed fine. So the old working version still exists in some form. When a new version is broken, is there any way on BGA to start a game with an old, working version instead? It would be great if there was some way to select version on a beta game and therefore still be able to play it when a new version is unplayable.
No you can't. Old and new games use exactly the same version of the game, so I suggest to fill a bug report if you are unable to launch one.
ExpendableEnsign

Post by ExpendableEnsign »

Tisaac wrote: 19 January 2021, 08:32 No you can't. Old and new games use exactly the same version of the game, so I suggest to fill a bug report if you are unable to launch one.
This can't be accurate. If you go and run "replay game" on an old game, it behaves identically to how that game behaved before. (i.e. it locks up now if it locked up originally; it works now if it worked originally) The replay archive definitely is running the original code, even if it doesn't exist anywhere else.

And I do make bug reports. It's great when they are fixed quickly, as you did in this instance. But that isn't always the case.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

ExpendableEnsign wrote: 20 January 2021, 02:37
Tisaac wrote: 19 January 2021, 08:32 No you can't. Old and new games use exactly the same version of the game, so I suggest to fill a bug report if you are unable to launch one.
This can't be accurate. If you go and run "replay game" on an old game, it behaves identically to how that game behaved before. (i.e. it locks up now if it locked up originally; it works now if it worked originally) The replay archive definitely is running the original code, even if it doesn't exist anywhere else.

And I do make bug reports. It's great when they are fixed quickly, as you did in this instance. But that isn't always the case.
Oh you meant finished game ? Then in this case it's only loading the js and the notifications of the game when it ended indeed.
I thought you meant new table and ongoing table, because during an update all the ongoing tables are updated as well.
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

End-game replays show the version of the game that existed when the table started, even if the version changes during the game. The exact version number is visible in the url when watching the replay.

As for current games of Alhambra, something might have been missed in recent updates with the upgrade table function, because my turn based table, which was started on 01-12, fails to load with a db error. https://boardgamearena.com/9/alhambra?table=138889441
Since it is not in training mode, we cannot quit without losing rep.

Return to “"Beta" games”