Uptown is now in beta

Hot and crispy games just out of the oven
Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on: https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Elliot K

Uptown is now in beta

Post by Elliot K »

Hi, folks. I'm happy to announce that my adaptation of Kory Heath's excellent game, Uptown, is now available in beta.

Uptown is an abstract tile laying area control game. It's quick to learn and quick to play, but involves interesting strategic choices. If that sounds intriguing to you, I encourage you to check it out. I look forward to your bug reports!

BGG Link (under the name Blockers, a later release with worse art)

BGA Reviewers

Games in Progress
Judgemen

Re: Uptown is now in beta

Post by Judgemen »

Hello, thank you for the game Uptown, which I myself have and love in the version "Blockers". However, I find the final score according to the rules of Blockers much better than in Uptown. The Uptown rules encourage constant stealing of opponents' pieces, as the stolen pieces are basically not taken into account in the scoring. In the Blockers rules, the stolen stones count as minus points just like the groups on the board. This makes the game more strategic and less random. Would it be possible to programme the Blockers scoring rules as an option? Best regards Juergen
Elliot K

Post by Elliot K »

Thanks, Juergen. I've created a bug based on your suggestion:

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=44080

I've always planned to do this eventually anyway.
Judgemen

Post by Judgemen »

Hi Elliot,
it would be great. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

If you think it's worth programming this optional final score, here's the full rule for the final score in the "Blockers" variant (Amigo):

"Now each player counts his points:
● 1 point for each group he has lying on the board. A single tile on the board also counts as a group.
● 1 point for each tile taken in the color of which he has the most in front of him. If he has the same number of tiles in several colors in front of him, he only gets the points once.
The player who has the fewest points wins. If there is a tie, the player who has taken fewer tiles in the game wins."

Thanks
Juergen
Cerebrovore

Post by Cerebrovore »

Really enjoying it. No bugs, just a thank you :)
davidkasdan

Post by davidkasdan »

Myself and my friends are enjoying the game but we find the blue and green colors too similar looking to each other when there's a mix of them on the board. I would suggest that one of those colors should be darker than the other or maybe there could be a new color.
Elliot K

Post by Elliot K »

davidkasdan wrote: 29 December 2021, 03:47 Myself and my friends are enjoying the game but we find the blue and green colors too similar looking to each other when there's a mix of them on the board. I would suggest that one of those colors should be darker than the other or maybe there could be a new color.
Hi, David. Thanks for the report. I've made an entry for it in the bug tracker:

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=56079

Return to “"Beta" games”