Legal Move/Intentional? Short > Long Sides

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
WyldKat75

Legal Move/Intentional? Short > Long Sides

Post by WyldKat75 »

I haven't seen this exact example, so I'm hoping it leads to a clear answer.

Is this a legal move? I had a game with friends with a three similar curves before the finish line, and I had the first move into the corner. Moving like this to up my gear, I was able to block everyone behind me from exiting each turn. It led to an anticlimactic end :| where they were helpless to pass me. Only brake rolls made it a thing, and I was able to ration my Focus to avoid trouble.

Is this a legal series of moves? After attempting to browse different sites :roll: , I believe it is, but I was hoping for a Yes/No answer.

So legal and intended, yes or no?
Last edited by WyldKat75 on 06 June 2020, 16:57, edited 2 times in total.
ringersoll

Re: Legal Move? Short > Long Space

Post by ringersoll »

If your current speed is 1 and the first White (Coast) die keeps you at speed 1, then yes.

If your current speed is greater than speed 1, then you must brake into the first corner.
1RR (use as many brake dice to reduce to speed 1) W W W 2 3 (use the 3 White dice to coast through the middle straight and into the second corner.

But the big question is: "Why spend two dice when you can spend only one?"

When coming out of the first corner, you must use two dice in the middle straight in order to avoid the ^! on the exit from the corner.
But when exiting the second corner, your first acceleration die (2) should end up where the 3 is and then the 3 will take you one space down the track.
antichris

Post by antichris »

I was in this game, and the bigger question is why does a longer space prevent you from coming along side someone on the longer side into the back half of the split side. I understand not being allowed to overtake them, but being on the side with 2 spaces, you are still clearly behind them since they can hit the inside of the corner in one move, and it takes you two. The BGA implementation consistently disallowed us from coming up behind the person in the longer space into the farther back spot on the split space.
WyldKat75

Post by WyldKat75 »

Thanks for replying ring, but that wasn't what I was asking. Forget brakes, coasts, and exact speeds. The game in question let me come out of the corner, accelerate into the short space, then accelerate into the long space. If I stopped at that point, it traps everyone behind me because they cannot exit the corner at all.

This is legal and not some kind of bug?

If it's legal, it's best to always be the first person into and out of a turn and let's you stage for the next turn with a 1 space lead with impunity. I used this for 3 back-to-back corners right before a finish line. The other three players were stuck going through the motions while waiting for me to cross the finish line.
Castorama

Post by Castorama »

If this is legal, it leads to unfun gameplay. I was also in that game, and I did not feel like I was having fun when I couldn't even pass.
antichris

Post by antichris »

Castorama wrote: 03 June 2020, 03:28 If this is legal, it leads to unfun gameplay. I was also in that game, and I did not feel like I was having fun when I couldn't even pass.
Not even passing, which I can understand if you can't tie or surpass the gear, but you can't even pull along side in a space that is obvious behind?
WyldKat75

Re: Legal Move/Intentional? Short > Long Sides

Post by WyldKat75 »

So, I'm taking from ringersoll's roundabout answer that this is a legal move and intentional mechanic that lets the first person in/out of such corners control the race flow as a significant perk of the position.

Return to “Rallyman: GT”