Tiebreaker rule - for real?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Evreka

Re: Tiebreaker rule - for real?

Post by Evreka » 11 October 2020, 10:33

I don't like the tie-breaking rule either, because it is 100% luck, and depending on how the slides happen to look, more often than not very much more favourable for one of the two players. Further it ought to warn that you have just one pick, you can't remove one ingredient and then pick as usual. It would have made more sense to use any of the data obtained from the game as number of potions (brewed or used), or number of times you used help or something. But maybe that would alter people's strategies for winning? Is that why it is this random method?

Either way, it feels like a let-down after a magical gem of a game.

Tokoloshe79

Post by Tokoloshe79 » 25 November 2020, 01:48

Just adding +1 to this... it's a truly appalling tie-breaker.

Use of "-2 help" is clearly a superior method of deciding. If those are equal then just call it a tie!

blockmonoid

Post by blockmonoid » 12 September 2021, 06:28

I agree with the above comments. The game itself involves some degree of luck, but a lot of skill. To have it end in a tiebreak that is purely luck, since it doesn't allow any manipulation of the board before the drop, is hugely unsatisfying. A better tiebreak, as many have suggested, is to have the winner be the person who used the professor's help the least. After all, that meant you got to the same place as your opponent, but without as much help, meaning the achievement was more your own skill at playing. That's a far more sensible tiebreaker and I would guess that, if it was ever considered by the designer, it wasn't used because it would require too much bookkeeping during a casual game. But BGA does that bookkeeping for you, so it's no issue. Speaking of? Why does BGA even keep track of the number of uses of the professor's help, if it has no bearing on the game?

Return to “Potion Explosion”