too much difference in points from potions!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Athanagilde

too much difference in points from potions!

Post by Athanagilde »

How is it that in a game, the person making the most potion still ends up losing?!!!
I just played a game and my opponent won scoring 71 with 9 potions when I brewed 11 of them for 69 pts only (with 2 skill tokens each).
I find the difference in scoring points of the different potions (from 3 to 11) too wide, especially as the potions (and then potential score) available are random so you don't always have the opportunity to get the high 9/10/11 points ones...

Am I the only one that find this frustrating?
dschingis27

Re: too much difference in points from potions!

Post by dschingis27 »

Athanagilde wrote: 02 July 2020, 17:41 I find the difference in scoring points of the different potions (from 3 to 11) too wide, especially as the potions (and then potential score) available are random so you don't always have the opportunity to get the high 9/10/11 points ones...
That is indeed a frustrating part of the game. But it is a consequence of the game's position on the "randomness vs. strategy spectrum". This game was deliberately designed to include a big po(r)tion of randomness which is ok, we have to expect the frustrations and happy incidences that arise from that. But I have to agree that not getting the right potion cards is kind of extra-annoying. The randomness of the marble flow is easier to accept for me but not getting good potion cards on top of that can really kill the fun at times.

A bit unrelated, I would love to see a more strategic version of this game with more information given and more agency of the player. (Maybe I'll write to the publisher.) I really like this game because it involves interesting and occasionally difficult thinking processes. But quite often, it's not the quality of thinking that leads to win or defeat, instead it's quite obvious that luck does. It's ok as a family game but it would be even better as advanced version. :)
diamant

Post by diamant »

dschingis27 wrote: 03 July 2020, 16:31The randomness of the marble flow is easier to accept for me but not getting good potion cards on top of that can really kill the fun at times.

A bit unrelated, I would love to see a more strategic version of this game with more information given and more agency of the player.
The random part of this game is reinforced by the BGA implementation which does not provide the same information as with the real game.
I invite you to support my suggestion of adding the missing information in order to have a better predictability of the color of the marbles coming from the inside of the Dispenser:
#19196: "La dernière bille d'une piste de glissière complète n'est pas affichée"

With the real game, a good observer can even spot which marbles go into which slide track.
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

diamant wrote: 04 July 2020, 17:42 I invite you to support my suggestion of adding the missing information in order to have a better predictability of the color of the marbles coming from the inside of the Dispenser:
#19196: "La dernière bille d'une piste de glissière complète n'est pas affichée"

With the real game, a good observer can even spot which marbles go into which slide track.
Thanks for the suggestion but I do not speak French. Ideally, you should probably write suggestions in English (and French if you like) to reach the largest audience. (In this case I used Google Translate and voted for it.)

Return to “Potion Explosion”