Suggested option - automatic confirm

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Jest Phulin

Suggested option - automatic confirm

Post by Jest Phulin »

Yes, I understand that misclicks happen.
Yes, I understand that there have been many posts in the forums about "<insert game name> needs a confirm/undo option."

I would like it if an option was given (similar to Puerto Rico) where a player could disable the confirm button. Switching thinking power between focusing on the playing area and game strategy, then up to the top of the screen to remember to hit "confirm" can be somewhat grating.

Great job on the interface and game play, though.
quietmint

Re: Suggested option - automatic confirm

Post by quietmint »

All real-time games already have automatic confirm timer after 15 seconds.

Are you playing on turn-based by mistake? If you use "friends only" mode in the BGA lobby, it defaults the game to training mode (no ELO, no penalties) and turn based with no time limit (which disable 15-second auto-confirm).
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

Steam Works has also set a really good precedent for this with a user preference: auto-confirm, confirm with timer, and confirm with no timer.
A single solution is not likely going to please everyone.

Though I understand the reasoning for them, I am very much against countdown timers for end of turn confirmation. I have made my case against them here. Thank you for taking them off of turn-based mode.

Even if they are set to only occur in real time games, they will still disrupt learning games in a table setup I use frequently in virtual meetups when there is a new player: real-time training mode. I use this because BGA does not allow changes to the configuration of turn-based tables, such as number of players or game options, after a player has joined.

It is perfectly reasonable for a new player to ask a question about the game state after moving pieces on the board. A timer would be stressful and unwelcome in this case.
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

Version 200830-2310: There's now a user preference to control turn confirmations with 3 options:
  • Enabled with timer -- default behavior, button to confirm with 15-second countdown
  • Enabled -- button to confirm but no timer
  • Disabled -- immediate confirmation
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

quietmint wrote: 30 August 2020, 22:44 Version 200830-2310: There's now a user preference to control turn confirmations with 3 options:
  • Enabled with timer -- default behavior, button to confirm with 15-second countdown
  • Enabled -- button to confirm but no timer
  • Disabled -- immediate confirmation
This is great news and hopefully people will know how to use user preferences...
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

Thank you so much!
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Thankee :)

Oh, and for the record, I wasn't playing turn-based by mistake. It's on purpose. :) Playing it in turn-based mode, but playing real-time allows for ranking to be done but no time pressure.

Return to “Santorini”