Two Carts in Chasm ... ???

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Ohioboardgamer

Two Carts in Chasm ... ???

Post by Ohioboardgamer »

First two games played both carts taken out by Chasms ... and yet I got to watch for 10 minutes and get to play and build track and lay chasms with nothing to move and target others ... a player elimination game - will likely fall out of favor ... or should not get to lay tracks when knocked out of game.
paramesis

Re: Two Carts in Chasm ... ???

Post by paramesis »

There are semi-rare cases that you can build track in a way that hurts another player. For example, if you know someone needs a straight track going one direction, you can place a straight rotated the other direction so they would have to spend 2 actions upgrading track instead of 1 to place the track they wanted. I'll sometimes do that early in the game to make it impossible for an opposing player to hit my cart.

Generally, track placement after your carts have been destroyed could be kingmaking, so I do see your point. I looked at your replays and you took some very risky moves at the end. The game does give you a few ways you can mitigate the chances of losing your carts to a chasm.

Before the chasm starts
There is only one card for each mine location on the board, and the chasm deck is separated out during setup. Therefore the first four chasm tokens will not appear on any locations that have generated a deposit. After the chasm card has been drawn, many of these squares will be apparent because they'll still have jewels on them.

After the chasm has started
There are 5 chasm tokens of each color. You can gauge the probability of certain colors being drawn based on how many of that color have come out already, and can position yourself not to be hit by or forced into them. On your second game, you pushed your last cart out so it was next to 2 different color chasm tokens, which meant 7 out of the remaining 13 tokens would have been able to destroy your cart.
Ohioboardgamer

Post by Ohioboardgamer »

Understand your comments. Thanks

Would suggest that a cart is always available in that once the second one is gone a third is available to at least be built and keep the person is the game and the fun.

We enjoyed the game - short time / fun - having something to do other than screw others with track plays at the end (after 2nd cart loss) would keep those involved in the game and fun.

Add an emergency cart at least as an option.

Thanks for the response.

Good Luck with the game!
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

I didn't design the game, I just developed the adaptation because It's one of my favorite projects I've backed on Kickstarter. The designer has been working on some modular expansions, some of which would give you other options if your cart has been destroyed. A neutral cart sounds like a really interesting idea!

Return to “Off the Rails”