Would this idea for the game improve it or ruin it?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
FT3

Would this idea for the game improve it or ruin it?

Post by FT3 »

I’ll start by saying I’m not suggesting this should be implemented on BGA, I know the rules on here have to follow the official rules. I’m just interested on a hypothetical level.

I’m interested in game design (as in mechanics of a game rather than how it looks) and what makes a good game, which I think this is.

I was wondering, after the game’s finished and everyone’s passed on buying any more cards after the upgrade phase, what if you then scored or got money on each phase one last time, no more buying cards, just benefitting from the cards you have.

It seems like on the last upgrade phase there’s little point in buying an upgrade unless it’s an orange card you haven’t already got. This way there’d be purpose in buying every card still available to buy, right up to the very end.

I’m probably more interested in why this is a bad idea than anything as I think I’ll learn something from the reasons why so don’t feel hesitant to tell me why it wouldn’t work or benefit the game.
HOCKEYHABIT

Re: Would this idea for the game improve it or ruin it?

Post by HOCKEYHABIT »

I actually think this is a good idea, it makes the end-game really different and it adds more tension/decisions to the final rounds of each card-type. If this was implemented it should be an option (of course). I would expect that the game just processes the remaining game-end rounds quickly, no need to ask any questions of the players - but the final scoring might be a lot different than it is now.
Lumin_S

Re: Would this idea for the game improve it or ruin it?

Post by Lumin_S »

I think that just changes the game by making the Pubs almost useless and pushing players towards building a heavier engine. I actually think it would make the game more boring due to those effects. I think the calculations of finding what's worth immediately buying or putting off are very interesting as-is.

Return to “Saint Petersburg”