How to use communication token?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Rooster6975

How to use communication token?

Post by Rooster6975 »

I've managed to successfully convey that I had a singleton blue, but not sure how the mechanism works. If I click on the Communication token, the card turns on a green background. What does the green signify? If I click again, it turns blue. What does blue signify? Can I only communicate on my turn? I have gotten it to work where I clicked on the Communication icon and then clicked on the card I wanted to convey info about, then placed the token in the appropriate spot. But am I only allowed to do this on my turn?

Thanks!
Romain672

Re: How to use communication token?

Post by Romain672 »

You can only communicate during the start of a turn.
If the border is green, you will automatiquely communicate at the start of the next turn.
If it's blue, you will not.
Rooster6975

Post by Rooster6975 »

Thanks! Game works really well for an Alpha. We have only had one non-play related oddity thus far, the Attempt counter incrementied by 1 (to 2) when it was our first attempt at that particular mission. It did not affect gameplay in the least, other than that, it's been great!
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Rooster6975 wrote: 21 October 2020, 18:10 the Attempt counter incrementied by 1 (to 2) when it was our first attempt at that particular missione
Did somebody used the distress token during that mission?
If one uses it it adds 1 to the attempt number, no matter if the mission is a success of failure.

Take care,
Woodruff
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

I selected my communication card and placed the counter, only I wanted it in the middle not the top, so clicked it again hoping it would change, but no it played the card!! NOOOO, ARGGH!!!!

Quickest game ruined ever..
achalupka

Post by achalupka »

The implementation of the communication token needs to be re-visited, I think. Its really awkward to use when playing a turn-based game. You basically need to add a communication phase before each trick is played.

Friends and I are trying this game out and we are struggling to figure out the best way to use the token. At the beginning of a mission, the commander chooses a task. The next guys chooses a task, etc. Those guys have a chance to click the communication token. But in the early game, some people are not selecting any tasks, so they never get notified until its their turn to play on a trick - at this point, its too late if you wanted to communicate something about your starting hand.

At this point, we'll probably resort to using the chat window for communication until there is an improvement.
Nisterius

Post by Nisterius »

RicardoRix wrote: 21 October 2020, 23:48 I selected my communication card and placed the counter, only I wanted it in the middle not the top, so clicked it again hoping it would change, but no it played the card!! NOOOO, ARGGH!!!!
We had that happen too.

We also struggled to figure out how to use the communication token. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes one of us would, but we never did figure out how to ensure it would work. I was basically just click-mashing it constantly in the hopes that I'd get to use it.
It seems that there are also color signals around it (green/red, glow-green/glow-blue) - any color meaning can be really lost on colorblind folks if it's not conveyed another way also.
Rooster6975

Post by Rooster6975 »

Woodruff wrote: 21 October 2020, 22:05
Did somebody used the distress token during that mission?
If one uses it it adds 1 to the attempt number, no matter if the mission is a success of failure.

Take care,
Woodruff
Ah, probably! Too long ago to remember, but we were playing with all the options and that is the likeliest scenario. Thanks!

Return to “The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine”