Timer for Turns

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
CJ ORACLE

Timer for Turns

Post by CJ ORACLE »

The system should automatically expel a player who exceeds their time, and the timer should NOT re-set every time a player makes 1 of X # of moves.

Example, time in a Builder's The Middle Ages is set for 2:00. Players make 3 moves per turn and can buy extra moves. Players can also cancel a move.

Player A lets the time fall below zero, then makes a move. The timer resets. Player A AGAIN allows the timer to fall below zero, and then makes a move and the timer resets. etc etc. If the player cancels the move, the timer resets. This is a way to exploit a "bug", and to take MUCH MORE time per move than permitted.

If Player B clicks the "Expel Player A" button when Player A has less than zero time, then Player A gains ANOTHER 20 seconds to abuse the system, and repeats the sequence above.

Also, Player A is upset with Player B for trying to expel them for abusing the system, and Player A retaliates by giving bad karma to Player B. The game is advertised as 2:00. If player takes DOUBLE that time for each turn, then player has large advantage over players who follow the rules.

This is a silly system that permits abuse. If reprogrammed to the previous setting of 'System Automatically Expels', then Player A is not tempted to or permitted to exploit and abuse the system and Player A cannot wrongly retaliate.
Liallan

Re: Timer for Turns

Post by Liallan »

That all sounds a little weird and like there's some bug in it, or maybe it was how that game was developed. Cancelling a move certainly shouldn't reset the clock. And I rarely play real-time, but in turn-based, if you go into negative time, once you return to get your turn time added back to to wherever it would really be, e.g. if it's 1 day per turn and someone is 12 hours negative, they'll end up 12 hours positive. (Though that may be rounded off?) So it's real easy to go into a negative again unless they start taking subsequent turns faster. At least, this is what I have observed. I'm not sure why real time would not work the same way.

However, as to automatically expelling someone, I disagree with that. I don't think it's fair to have someone automatically expelled the second they go over time when there could be a legitimate reason. This should be up to the players so they can make a decision based on the circumstances. Your comments indicate this used to be how it was set, but I don't remember anything like that. We as the players could expel someone, but it never happened automatically, unless that was very long ago.
Faedur

Re: Timer for Turns

Post by Faedur »

Then report it if bug section https://fr.boardgamearena.com/#!bugs if not solved yet.

Return to “Discussions”