BETA: Arena mode (Season 0 - BETA)

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
sprockitz

Re: NEW: Arena mode (Season 0 - BETA)

Post by sprockitz »

Forester30 wrote: 18 January 2020, 17:23 I'm a good to average Seasons player. So far out of the 10 or so games is Arena I've played all my competitors are 300+ELO while I'm in still in bronze. Very frustrating. I was just matched against someone in the highest group Epic or something like that.

So, while I enjoy competition I feel this is too Imbalanced for any players less than a certain skill level. The number of star won or lost should take into account the skill of you competitor. For example losing to another bronze player will cost you two stars while losing to a player two or more ranking groups above you should lose you less stars.

Same with winning, it should gain you more stars if you beat a higher ranked player. Either that or only allow within same group pairings. Otherwise you will isolate most players who don't enjoy constantly losing to players of much higher skill.
This is already the case. you only lose 2 stars against silver (or gain 4 if winning) and 1 start against gold (or gain 5 if winning). Early on though since everything is reset at the start of a season there is no way to differentiate between bronze level skilled players and elite level players who haven't played yet this season.
spedia2116

Post by spedia2116 »

sprockitz wrote: 18 January 2020, 18:48 Early on though since everything is reset at the start of a season there is no way to differentiate between bronze level skilled players and elite level players who haven't played yet this season.
And this is why there should be something as follows:
1. After each season (3 months) everyone lose one level: so silver players become brown ones; gold -> silver and so on instead of reseting it at all.
2. There should be option to lose your position during the game because of your bad play.

First option prevents someone to be high without playing anymore and keep all players within range of their skils.
Second option allows players to settle their final league based on their skils.
So, while I enjoy competition I feel this is too Imbalanced for any players less than a certain skill level. The number of star won or lost should take into account the skill of you competitor. For example losing to another bronze player will cost you two stars while losing to a player two or more ranking groups above you should lose you less stars.
There is such mechanic, but right now basically there is no difference between arena and ELO games. In both modes you get more points by winning with someone better.
However to avoid such situations you can change your preference to not be matched with someone from high level.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

One week in, I've given it my best to really try this out (luckily for me it coincided with a good amount of fire time) and here are my thoughts on it.

The way it is setup the levels really have no meaning. Players are all playing cross level anyway b/c player base isn't big enough to support 5 unique play modes (simple and 4 arena levels). And all players who do well enough in EAS to compete for a top ranking will already have made Elite level, so adding the extra levels does nothing to change the rankings.

You'd be better off...
-Adding a games played barrier to get your EAS revealed (provisional status)
-The 'reward' of reaching a level can just be replaced by the reward of reaching an EAS (+0 (come out of provisional with a positive EAS), +50, +100, +200, +300, +400)
-Can adjust the Elo formula divisor of 400 for each game to adjust for luck factor...400 for 90% win rate in low luck games, up that to 600 or 800 for medium and high luck games as this would make the EAS levels similarly achievable for different games.
-Additionally modify K factor by game length. For example, 100 games of lost cities takes about the time of 3 Terra Mystica games...the K factor should reflect this)
-(edit wanted to add changing the 400 divisor by player count would also be a good way to level the playing field so that people who play with the higher variance at higher player counts can compete with those playing in the controlled 2 player environment)...an easy recommendation is baseline*sqrt(number opponents) so 2p stays at the baseline (currently 400, but could be adjusted my game type), then 3p is 565, 4p is 693, 5p is 800...and 8 player game would be 1058. For those not familiar with the divisor, it is the rating difference that projects the better player would win 10 times for every 1 time the lower rated player wins. The more players in the game, the higher it should be because the higher rated player will lose more often due to things outside his control.
-All Modes back together to reunite player base, minimize the time players have to wait.
-Keep Elo for true skill measurement
-Use EAS, reset each season, keep provisional for 5, 10, or 20 games (based on game length), for seasonal championship (best players over that 3 month period).
-Limit EAS exchanges between players who are playing each other multiple times (to avoid abuse)...if friends want to play they can but it won't corrupt the competition.
-Optionally turn the 3 month periods into 2 month regular season and 1 month playoff...so that the best of the best can duke it out head to head at the end for the title...can continue to play whoever you want but only qualifiers for the playoffs games against other playoff qualifiers would count.

Final words that pushed me to above ideas..
I've tried playing on my level of silver in backgammon, about 20 different times now, most times were only a few minutes, but a few exceeded 10 minute waits and not once did I get a game...and backgammon is one of the very small number where people are quickly getting games in general. When I was bronze I didn't wait more than 2 minutes...makes me wonder if the single level request isn't working quite right...the table waiting the longest should get priority when a new player hits play now.

When this mode was first announced, I estimated 75% of game wouldn't work b/c they don't have the player base...now it is looking more like 90%...top games like clans of Caledonia and Terra Mystica already deemed failures and the player numbers have already been changed to the inferior 2 player versions. Put all modes back together and just use EAS for seasonal championships.
chrochma

Post by chrochma »

I just tried race for the galaxy in arenamode.
The game startet with the premium expansions, i only play without them.

Is it possible playing arenamode without expansions, or choose with or without them?
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Arena Mode:
It seems a bit buggy. Every time a game is about to start it says “your game is about to start” three times, then nothing happens for about 15 seconds(which feels like forever)
Then a huge red error code pops up that fills the whole screen.
Then if you wait it goes to your game or to a screen that has pre selected accept.

I think a lot of players aren’t waiting through this entire process, so the games never start.
Is it just me having this issue?
I’m on an IOS tablet.
Thanks for looking into it!
Gonzai

Post by Gonzai »

"I totally understand that you don't like this new mode. We didn't build this new mode to please everyone: we built it to please a certain category of players. This is why we gave you the possibility to ignore it."

How do we go back to regular mode? I clicked on Arena mode out of curiousity, but now it won't let me go back to regular mode. I can't find any instructions anywhere to go back to a normal lobby. (I tried searching but it keeps telling me my words are too common to search.) Do I have to wait until the season is over to play in regular mode again?

If playing in arena mode even once means you're stuck there, then there should be some sort of message telling us this before we click on it. :(
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

Gonzai wrote: 19 January 2020, 22:33 "I totally understand that you don't like this new mode. We didn't build this new mode to please everyone: we built it to please a certain category of players. This is why we gave you the possibility to ignore it."

How do we go back to regular mode? I clicked on Arena mode out of curiousity, but now it won't let me go back to regular mode. I can't find any instructions anywhere to go back to a normal lobby. (I tried searching but it keeps telling me my words are too common to search.) Do I have to wait until the season is over to play in regular mode again?

If playing in arena mode even once means you're stuck there, then there should be some sort of message telling us this before we click on it. :(
click on arena mode in the top right, should bring a drop down menu between arena and simple. click simple mode.
Raining Tacos

Post by Raining Tacos »

2 minute time limit on Arena please!! there's a whole group of folks that take all there time every turn trying to get you to quit for a win... I know people have lives and stuff happens but these games are, at times, taking forever.. brutal
Gonzai

Post by Gonzai »

sprockitz wrote: 19 January 2020, 22:42

click on arena mode in the top right, should bring a drop down menu between arena and simple. click simple mode.
Took a while to find it, on my screen it was top left. Back to normal, thanks.
somedayz

Post by somedayz »

Full of glitches with iOS. Games won’t start etc

Return to “Discussions”