Am I allowed to reproduce a BGA game on other websites?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Jest Phulin

Re: Am I allowed to reproduce a BGA game on other websites?

Post by Jest Phulin » 16 September 2020, 06:26

Usay Dress A H wrote:
16 September 2020, 02:46
And, the servers are free.
What about Carcarassonne or Marram?
While there are similarities between BGA and "free and open-sourced software," there are important legal distinctions.

Open-source software is software that is designed to be analyzed by independent programmers so that the best possible code can be achieved. BGA studio is available to anyone who creates an account. It is designed so that if one volunteer stops work on a project, another can work on it.

Although BGA does not impose a monetary cost on every user, this does not mean that the servers are free, with the implication that anything free can be freely duplicated. Playing games with no monetary cost is a service that BGA chooses to provide, funded by membership fees.

As far as the specific games in question: the same rule applies. Find a copy of the rules and the game. If the copyright symbol (©) appears anywhere, it requires the authorization of the copyright holder in order for the game to be duplicated.

I heard that China and most Asian countries do not have a cultural understanding of intellectual property rights. You might need to do some research on that (and the offshoot of "public domain" items) to better understand the situation.

Usay Dress A H

Post by Usay Dress A H » 16 September 2020, 07:24

Jest Phulin wrote:
16 September 2020, 06:26
Usay Dress A H wrote:
While there are similarities between BGA and "free and open-sourced software," there are important legal distinctions.

Open-source software is software that is designed to be analyzed by independent programmers so that the best possible code can be achieved. BGA studio is available to anyone who creates an account. It is designed so that if one volunteer stops work on a project, another can work on it.

Although BGA does not impose a monetary cost on every user, this does not mean that the servers are free, with the implication that anything free can be freely duplicated. Playing games with no monetary cost is a service that BGA chooses to provide, funded by membership fees.

As far as the specific games in question: the same rule applies. Find a copy of the rules and the game. If the copyright symbol (©) appears anywhere, it requires the authorization of the copyright holder in order for the game to be duplicated.

I heard that China and most Asian countries do not have a cultural understanding of intellectual property rights. You might need to do some research on that (and the offshoot of "public domain" items) to better understand the situation.
I can't find a copy. Sorry.
My username ends with a capital H and a space bar.

Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin » 16 September 2020, 10:03

A search engine is that hard to use? Going to the game page and checking out the rules section is so hard to do?

https://images.zmangames.com/filer_publ ... _rules.pdf

https://s3.amazonaws.com/geekdo-files.c ... 5192d84746

paramesis

Post by paramesis » 16 September 2020, 14:26

Jest Phulin wrote:
Usay Dress A H wrote:

Another important distinction is that game developers do not have access to the full framework code, just a relatively small collection of derived classes and skeleton code needed to implement a game. If you extracted an entire game implementation, it would not be playable on its own.

The two founders of this site built and cultivated the framework code as a labor of love over 7 years and now maintain it as their livelihood, so they would not be willing to give it away. In the terms and conditions developers agree to before being granted access to BGA Studio, you agree not to try to get access to or distribute privileged framework code. See section 7.

The implementation of some Some games, such as Seasons, were developed outside of BGA Studio (or before Studio existed), and are thus not publicly available without asking the admins. They probably won't grant you access if your intent is to violate intellectual property agreements and run it on your own site.

Usay Dress A H

Post by Usay Dress A H » 17 September 2020, 04:02

paramesis wrote:
16 September 2020, 14:26
Jest Phulin wrote:
Usay Dress A H wrote:

Another important distinction is that game developers do not have access to the full framework code, just a relatively small collection of derived classes and skeleton code needed to implement a game. If you extracted an entire game implementation, it would not be playable on its own.

The two founders of this site built and cultivated the framework code as a labor of love over 7 years and now maintain it as their livelihood, so they would not be willing to give it away. In the terms and conditions developers agree to before being granted access to BGA Studio, you agree not to try to get access to or distribute privileged framework code. See section 7.

The implementation of some Some games, such as Seasons, were developed outside of BGA Studio (or before Studio existed), and are thus not publicly available without asking the admins. They probably won't grant you access if your intent is to violate intellectual property agreements and run it on your own site.
I'm using a different programming language.
I want to create a game server that doesn't require using the Internet. It requires LAN instead.
Some places banned the Internet but not LAN.
I'm planning on adding the destiny die to my Seasons program.

Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin » 17 September 2020, 05:47

Usay Dress A H wrote:
17 September 2020, 04:02
I want to create a game server that doesn't require using the Internet. It requires LAN instead.
It doesn't matter what language you are using.
It doesn't matter what platform you are putting it on.
What matters is you want to take the intellectual property of someone else and use it for yourself. This requires their approval.
It doesn't matter if you plan to charge money for this or not.
It doesn't matter if they have given that approval to BGA or anyone else. They need to give it to you.

Usay Dress A H

Post by Usay Dress A H » 18 September 2020, 00:57

Jest Phulin wrote:
17 September 2020, 05:47
Usay Dress A H wrote:
17 September 2020, 04:02
It doesn't matter what language you are using.
It doesn't matter what platform you are putting it on.
What matters is you want to take the intellectual property of someone else and use it for yourself. This requires their approval.
It doesn't matter if you plan to charge money for this or not.
It doesn't matter if they have given that approval to BGA or anyone else. They need to give it to you.
But I couldn't contact them.

Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin » 18 September 2020, 01:33

OK, the short answer for every case that you've submitted so far.

No.

No you are not allowed to take the intellectual property of someone else and use it for yourself. Your excuses of language barriers and unable to contact for other reasons just show a lack of effort on your part. The community has tried to be nice and tell you how you might go about gaining the permission, but either your lack of effort or your government is stopping you. We can't do anything about either.

---
Edit -- misspelled "every" as "evert". Sorry 'bout that.
Last edited by Jest Phulin on 18 September 2020, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.

Usay Dress A H

Post by Usay Dress A H » 18 September 2020, 01:51

Jest Phulin wrote:
18 September 2020, 01:33
OK, the short answer for evert case that you've submitted so far.

No.

No you are not allowed to take the intellectual property of someone else and use it for yourself. Your excuses of language barriers and unable to contact for other reasons just show a lack of effort on your part. The community has tried to be nice and tell you how you might go about gaining the permission, but either your lack of effort or your government is stopping you. We can't do anything about either.
So this means I have to design my own game.
I haven't checked if Libellud replied.

Return to “Discussions”