Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

About turn-based May 3rd major issue

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

On May 3rd, those of you who are playing BGA in turn-based mode encountered a major problem with some games marked as "abandoned automatically because no one is playing for a long time".

This is by far the biggest BGA accident for the past 5 years, and we're sorry about this.

What happened

From one month (announced here), we were preparing to evolve BGA into a secured web site (https).

Any change moving forward has got some risk bundled with it and this was no exception. Today after the testing period, things were looking good, so we activated automatic redirect to https... and then... we got a server crash. And with it through an hazardous chain of events that still amazes us, exchanges between the main site and the game servers caused a lot of the turn-based games "last move" timestamps to be moved into the past, and being considered obsolete... the games were closed automatically starting 16:30 CET yesterday, and in only few minutes 6000 turn-based games has been closed.

Basically, it was a combination of a technical failure, an old and risky piece of code that we shouldn't have written, and bad luck.

What we did

As soon as we were alerted, we made sure that no additional tables can be affected by this issue.

I was in charge of fixing the issue, while Een first mission was to communicate with you and answer your questions.

Then, we worked on finding what caused the issue. Around 19:30 CET we found out the unlikely chain of events that caused the issue. We worked immediately on a fix, and at 20:30 CET we publish an update of the website with a fix and some additional security measure to make sure this kind of accident can't happen again in the future.

After that, we start to study how we could "bring back to life" all the abandoned game. This is something that we were unprepared to do : a game finished is a game finished, and there is no way it can be reverted to a playing game. After analysis, we found out that for 95% of tables there were no safe way to go back to the state corresponding to time just before the incident.

However, we found another solution that could bring back all games only a few moves to the past, based on the "game replay" feature which is absolutely not designed for such a usage. We start working on this solution around 21:30 CET and a first series of tables were back in your "games in progress" tab around 22:30 CET.

The whole process finished at 03:00 CET today.

Note : We removed all penalties received during the whole period.

What are the consequences for the games

Depending on the games, between 0 and 9 of the last moves has been cancelled (like a "jump in the past"), with an average of 4 moves.

Note : A "move" is not a turn : if you are doing several action during a turn, there are several moves.

Some of games couldn't be restored because only very few moves were played - but our first priority was to save games that were running for a long time.

About turn-based tournament : unfortunately, we couldn't remove additional game results generated by the abandoned games. Depending on the tournament system, this could break completely the tournament or just add some "0.5" points to every participant.

Can I play now?

Sure! The situation is now stable. Please advise us immediately (contact (at) boardgamearena.com) if you see anything strange - except from the little "jump in the past".

May the 4th be with you.
Tourbal

Re: About turn-based May 3rd major issue

Post by Tourbal »

Hello,

Aujourd'hui, ma partie Caylus 21038261 est réapparue avec la notification "partie abandonnée". Ne pouvant plus y jouer, j'ai cliqué sur "quitter la partie". Cette manoeuvre m'a couté 10 points ELO et une pénalité... Serait-il possible de corriger cette erreur? Merci pour votre attention
Marif1607

Post by Marif1607 »

Thank you for the informations and your reactivity to solve such a problem!
Teapot

Post by Teapot »

Wow, thanks for updates and explanation. You guys are busy there!
It was a weird day, sometimes had to make same move 3x to stick
Thanks for proactively canceling false timeout too
ivy_saurus

Post by ivy_saurus »

Good work! Thanks for getting it all sorted out so quick ~
SteveTrov

Post by SteveTrov »

I would like to add my thanks as well.

However, there is one outstanding issue that I have not seen anyone else mention: that is that all of my turn games now have unlimited time limits set. I really hope that no one will take advantage of these but I fear some people will.

Is this issue known about and if so are there plans to fix it, or is that information lost?
Shallowz

Post by Shallowz »

we have a game that is in our Games in Progress
When we click on it, it says "End of game (abandon)"

its the only game was are playing. will it always be stuck or do we still have a chance that things will get fixed and we can continue to play?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

@Shallowz

You are right, there have been an issue with your table. It is fixed now.
elemeno

Post by elemeno »

I've got the following game marked as "End of Game Abandon" - is there any chance of it's being restored? #20468315

Return to “Discussions”