IS IT EVER OK TO TELL OTHER PLAYERS HOW TOP PLAY?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Liallan

Re: IS IT EVER OK TO TELL OTHER PLAYERS HOW TOP PLAY?

Post by Liallan »

Call me Ishmael wrote:Lil, your third paragraph makes sense and is what I have been trying to say all along.
Me too. ;)

Perhaps me saying it "doesn't make sense" seemed flawed. I was actually agreeing with you, that trying to improve by knocking down a lower guy doesn't make sense. i.e. that isn't good playing. Maybe you thought I was saying what you were explaining didn't make sense. No, I was saying the same thing, that playing in that manner didn't make sense.

Our disagreement isn't about that. We both understand the scoring concept. It's about whether that's "unethical" or whether people are doing it intentionally or whatever. I'm merely saying, because that doesn't make sense, I think the people doing it don't understand the game. Or they don't care if they win. i.e., The ELO system has been blamed for this behavior, when I think it's more about just not understanding how the game works. If they don't understand, that's something that's just going to take time, like any other game. Perhaps you should be playing with people of higher ELO?

If it's because they don't care about winning, then just don't play with them again. You obviously have a different way of playing than they do and are not compatible with them. They obviously have a different set of beliefs than you do. I think that makes them different, not wrong. They should be playing with other people who do not care about winning. (In other words, it goes both ways. They need to also get that there are people like you, and that if it's a problem, they should not play with you either, or playing with no ELO, or something.)

Return to “Discussions”