Any way to leave games with no time limit?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
bockatore

Any way to leave games with no time limit?

Post by bockatore »

When I first joined BGA, I didn't understand the implications of joining games with no time limit. Now I have multiple games cluttering up my "games in progress" view where someone hasn't taken a turn in weeks. Is there any way to get rid of these games without suffering a reputation penalty?

Would it make sense to have a cap on the time limit that is shorter than 125 days? Or maybe not let new people join games without a time limit until they understand the implications of the turn system?
Espina

Re: Any way to leave games with no time limit?

Post by Espina »

I agree with you that it is pretty annoying. However, these games should quickly migrate to the bottom of your games in progress page, no?

Anyway, this is not a quick fix, when I had such a game, I proposed to collectively abandon the game, figuring that if my opponent did not want to play, this would give them an easy way out. Shortly thereafter the game was removed, I *think* (based on the notification I got) by the site admins.

On a separate note, it would be nice if one could set some sort of preference that prevents one from ever joining no-time-limit games. All of the ones I have found myself in were by forgetting to notice the time limit, rather than by choice.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

bockatore wrote:When I first joined BGA, I didn't understand the implications of joining games with no time limit. Now I have multiple games cluttering up my "games in progress" view where someone hasn't taken a turn in weeks. Is there any way to get rid of these games without suffering a reputation penalty?
No. ;) That's the short answer.

The long answer is that if it's 2 player you can concede. You can offer a group abandon. If everyone agrees the game will automatically end. It is not true, however, that the site admins will do it. It just happens automatically. The group abandon is under the menu (gear?) in the upper right. Be aware of two problems. One, if you are waiting on someone who isn't taking their turn, they won't see the game and therefore won't see the group abandon, and the other players not on turn may not see it. Second, if even one person votes no, it won't happen - it's not a "majority vote." :lol:

That said, if someone hasn't taken a turn in weeks like you claim, you should be able to skip their turn. The so-called unlimited option actually has a limit, something like 8 days I believe. Once you skip their turn, it would move to the next player - the game can continue with some variants on ELO. Also, once someone's turn is skipped, you can then just quit the game without punishment, but you'll still share the tie just the same. If the skip turn option isn't coming up, that might be a bug, but check that. You need to actually go into the game to do this.

And you can just ignore it and wait for it to die a slow death. Sometimes there's something to be said for just letting it fall off the edge of the earth.

Would it make sense to have a cap on the time limit that is shorter than 125 days? Or maybe not let new people join games without a time limit until they understand the implications of the turn system?
As to a shorter cap, in my opinion, no. That cap is not a turn cap. As I said, I think the time limit is 8 days. (Although they've changed that before and may have again.) If you do not choose to skip the player's turn, then there's the longer cap when the game will disappear and there will basically be no record of it. All the turn-based games final cap is relative to the turn time, so it's appropriate this one is longer.

As to the suggestion of not allowing new people to do that... when I was new was exactly when I wanted to do unlimited because I felt uncomfortable with time limits. However, it could certainly give a big giant warning that you might not want to do that. I believe there is a warning somewhere but perhaps not some place obvious? But unlimited is kind of a bad idea unless you know who you're playing with, in which case it can come in very handy.
Espina

Post by Espina »

Liallan wrote:
That said, if someone hasn't taken a turn in weeks like you claim, you should be able to skip their turn. The so-called unlimited option actually has a limit, something like 8 days I believe.

As to a shorter cap, in my opinion, no. That cap is not a turn cap. As I said, I think the time limit is 8 days. (Although they've changed that before and may have again.)
I don't think what you are saying is correct. I was in a "no time limt" game a few months ago. I made the first move. Then I watched the other player's time go down from 125 days to 109 days. At that point I offered an abandon. It was not taken by the player, who may not even have been on the site anymore. Then I stopped keeping track of it, figuring that it was not bothering me by remaining at the bottom of my games list. Several days later it disappeared from my game list and I received a notification that it had been removed because "no move had been made in a long time". I assumed that this had been done by the admins, but it may have been automatic, I do not know. But it was certainly not in anything like 8 days. And at no time was I given the option to skip the other player's turn.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Espina wrote:
Liallan wrote:
That said, if someone hasn't taken a turn in weeks like you claim, you should be able to skip their turn. The so-called unlimited option actually has a limit, something like 8 days I believe.

As to a shorter cap, in my opinion, no. That cap is not a turn cap. As I said, I think the time limit is 8 days. (Although they've changed that before and may have again.)
I don't think what you are saying is correct. I was in a "no time limt" game a few months ago. I made the first move. Then I watched the other player's time go down from 125 days to 109 days. At that point I offered an abandon. It was not taken by the player, who may not even have been on the site anymore. Then I stopped keeping track of it, figuring that it was not bothering me by remaining at the bottom of my games list. Several days later it disappeared from my game list and I received a notification that it had been removed because "no move had been made in a long time". I assumed that this had been done by the admins, but it may have been automatic, I do not know. But it was certainly not in anything like 8 days. And at no time was I given the option to skip the other player's turn.
Well, now that I think about it... I've never really adjusted to some of the changes from when they created this "skip turn" feature. It's even possible I've not played an unlimited game since then. (I have, but no one was late.) I guess now it doesn't do anything with the "turn time" and only offers skip turn when "total time" is up. Like i play mostly 1 turn per day, so it should add 24 hours at the beginning of each of my turns. And it starts at 5 days. If I missed a couple of days, it would go down to 3 days but wouldn't do anything about it. It would just mean I'd have to get back earlier a few times to get back up to the 5 days. And if it went negative, then would offer the skip turn.

I think you're right that it wouldn't offer the skin turn after 8 days. But I still don't think admins would be deleting games for a reason like that. For one, they wouldn't have time to monitor all those games and see what was going on, and furthermore I'm not sure they'd care about that. That's why things are automatic. Any time I have a game that gets ignored, it takes a couple of months for it to delete itself. Since you stopped keeping track of it, perhaps a total of two months had gone by? Maybe it's always 2 months regardless of the time set. It's not something I want to experiment with on purpose. :mrgreen:

Return to “Discussions”