Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Liallan

Re: Waiting screen before game - FAQ

Post by Liallan »

EllieK wrote:
Liallan wrote: You might be careful with the word "membership." We're all members. Not the same as paying members. And I believe they said overall membership went up. You suggest driving traffic and that's what happened, but it didn't get more paying members. And it's been said they don't want to lose membership. And finding a way to solve this is exactly what they are trying to do - I think we have that part figured out.

They are already trying to work on the site - this doesn't happen like magic. How about an actual suggestion if you have one?
I'll not be careful with any words, "membership" or otherwise.

That's certainly your choice, but it can make it more difficult to interpret what you're saying if the "membership" is now only paying members, and apparently no one else counts. And you know what? I was not trying to be confrontational when I said that - I was seriously meaning it would be useful, and kind of as a reminder that everyone is a member. If you want to purposely be stubborn about it just so you can be a snot to me, be my guest - whatever.

EllieK wrote:Your quips and condescension are entirely unproductive and I have no idea why you feel you need to engage in a confrontational response to my post. And I did provide a suggestion, perhaps you missed it, "Invent an ELO side game that people will pay for." I compliment the guys all the time on the work they do. I compliment them and I pay. They may appreciate it but I'm sure they don't need you to defend them.
I was being serious. One thing you said was the opposite of what they actually said, and I corrected it. And personally, I thought your post was unproductive because it was based on a false premise to start with, and mostly just said "let's be great, make a great game, and what we need is more traffic." It sounded more like a political pep rally than a suggestion.

And keep in mind, you were starting with the false premise that making ELO visible decreased membership (which was incorrect), and then said "ooops" and told them to learn from it. You told them they have to build a good site and traffic is key. I'm being dead serious when I say, I think they already know that. But I'm the one being condescending??? That's exactly what you were. And I wasn't attempting to "defend" them - I thought you were being condescending to them. But it certainly isn't hurting them if someone defends them, whether they "need it" or not, and I can't imagine why it should bother you. Oh gosh, can't be having any defending going on around here. That you compliment them all the time and pay them isn't really relevant to that, unless of course you mean they don't need defending by non-paying members?
ckwatt

Post by ckwatt »

Well my membership just ran out and I was unpleasantly surprised to see the pay screen appear. I had no idea that it had been introduced until now. I had actually been planning to pay for a new membership in order to support the site, but now I find myself hesitating. The whole thing feels somehow wrong, more like coercion than persuasion.

I am therefore concerned about what this will mean for the site and the numbers of players. If nothing else, I think the waiting period before each game is much too long. 10 seconds would suffice to be annoying, without perhaps scaring as many people off. Ultimately, however, I doubt it will have the intended effect of promoting the site, however long the delay.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I just got hit with that waiting screen for a turn-based game, where someone else was on turn anyway. I'm not exactly a heavy-duty player around here so it was a bit of a surprise to see it.

And really, I laughed. I think it was funny that a low-volume person like me would see it, or even the fact that for turn-based it's almost completely irrelevant (since it always seems to be someone else's turn). So it more amused me than anything else.

But, it seems a bit like the reaction to this is maybe not what was expected, as it does seem to be turning off a lot of people. But I also wonder if it is just one of those cases where it's more the ticked-off people are posting, and the ones who don't care that much aren't bothering to even find out what's going on. But still, there is a lot of bad reaction to this. I'm not surprised people wouldn't like it. But I am surprised that people would be making people upset enough as to react the opposite way, by not paying, on purpose. Like it's just "too mean."

That said, I also wonder why people find it so terribly annoying. I find 30 seconds to really be nothing. I just have to wonder if people have gotten seriously impatient and if it's related to this "immediate gratification" issue. It reminds me of people getting ticked off cause someone doesn't respond to a text within 2 minutes. There's the part of me that wants to say "too bad for you," but I'd also hate to see this backfire and ultimately have a bad effect on BGA.
ckwatt

Post by ckwatt »

Thanks for posting, Liallan. Here are a couple of further thoughts:
But, it seems a bit like the reaction to this is maybe not what was expected, as it does seem to be turning off a lot of people. But I also wonder if it is just one of those cases where it's more the ticked-off people are posting, and the ones who don't care that much aren't bothering to even find out what's going on.
I think the problem is that people who don't know what is going on and don't care enough to find out will be turned off by the annoyance and will just not come back. Sites like these need those players to keep the games going.
That said, I also wonder why people find it so terribly annoying. I find 30 seconds to really be nothing. I just have to wonder if people have gotten seriously impatient and if it's related to this "immediate gratification" issue.
There may indeed be something to that. However, as an online gaming service (or online anything one could add) this site feeds into and lives off that culture by its very nature. Then to expect people to suddenly develop a 20th-century sense of patience is unrealistic.

I would also add that it is not just the quantity of seconds (I regularly wait patiently for players to take over 30 seconds to make obvious moves ;) ) - but it is the quality of staring at that particular screen that is especially annoying. I speak for myself of course, but doubt that I am alone in this. Again, I think 10 seconds are enough to get the point across - or perhaps a screen with the latest BGA news to make it more positive?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

ckwatt wrote:
That said, I also wonder why people find it so terribly annoying. I find 30 seconds to really be nothing. I just have to wonder if people have gotten seriously impatient and if it's related to this "immediate gratification" issue.
There may indeed be something to that. However, as an online gaming service (or online anything one could add) this site feeds into and lives off that culture by its very nature. Then to expect people to suddenly develop a 20th-century sense of patience is unrealistic.
I did think about that. I guess I'm just someone who hates "giving in" to that type of thing. Of course, in the end, I would probably not be the best person to run a site like this to begin with, and would continually have to be making decisions between how I want to run things, and whether I actually want any traffic. (I would need to do something for the "older crowd." :lol: ) I'm sure a lot of places have this issue: if you run it, you get to make the rules, but then you also live with the consequences - you have to decide what's more important to you, which may not be an easy decision.
I would also add that it is not just the quantity of seconds (I regularly wait patiently for players to take over 30 seconds to make obvious moves ;) ) - but it is the quality of staring at that particular screen that is especially annoying. I speak for myself of course, but doubt that I am alone in this. Again, I think 10 seconds are enough to get the point across - or perhaps a screen with the latest BGA news to make it more positive?
I agree that maybe 10-15 seconds would be a good compromise. Putting news up is an interesting suggestion, though it's possible people might then interpret the delay as a tactic for getting the news in front of them? (That's the kind of thing I would think.)
ufm

Post by ufm »

Today my club membership expired and I noticed this waiting screen immediately.
I waited 45 seconds to play my first game of the day, and before every game I played I had to wait 30~45 seconds.
Also I couldn't click game elements after waiting screen so I refreshed the browser every game.

It was way too bothersome. At least it should've been 5~10s as other posters suggested.
After all, I agree with ideas of giving some new fancy features to club members is better than punishing non-club members with inconvenient things to promote club membership...
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

ufm wrote:Today my club membership expired and I noticed this waiting screen immediately.
I waited 45 seconds to play my first game of the day, and before every game I played I had to wait 30~45 seconds.
I had the wait screen again yesterday. It's not getting in my way since it's turn-based anyway, but I did notice it was more like 45 seconds, which I thought was a little odd. I wasn't really looking at it at first, but when I glanced back up, the counter was still above 30 so I'm guestimating 45 seconds.
satyre11

Post by satyre11 »

just an fyi....the wait screens are a little annoying but I have noticed a huge dropoff in players...this used to be the only site I would go to play games....I am considering looking for more options as it now takes a very long time to find an opponent for a game. Perhaps you should bite the bullet and pull back as lack of players will surely kill this site.
ckwatt

Post by ckwatt »

satyre11 wrote:just an fyi....the wait screens are a little annoying but I have noticed a huge dropoff in players...this used to be the only site I would go to play games....I am considering looking for more options as it now takes a very long time to find an opponent for a game. Perhaps you should bite the bullet and pull back as lack of players will surely kill this site.
I have observed the same, hoping that it was just my imagination fuelled by the fear of this happening. This is a great site and I would hate for it to go into a downward spiral.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Audience of BGA since one year :

As you can see there is no "dropoff" : BGA audience has every year a little decay at Spring and a big growth in Autumn. I've hear multiple players that tries to relay this false information, so that's why I'm publishing this.

Compared to any other June months in the past, there never have been as many players/games played on BGA than 2017 :)

Return to “Discussions”