65 different turn based games. COMPLETE

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
RicardoRix

34 - 27 - 2 : Caylus (lost)

Post by RicardoRix »

The given backstory is that Caylus one the first and best examples of the early 'worker placement' games. If you can get through the rule book then eventually it does play very smoothly and holds the tension nicely in each round, planning on your next moves, etc.
The shining examples of the game play is the castle, a particularly good mix to the fight with the jousting field and kings favors. Nothing is inherently wrong with this game but personally I do find it to be a little bit dry and long.

This game was very close. I think I was out played most of the game but towards the end managed to fight back in the castle favours, but the real killer was not judging my resources correctly in the final round, I'm sure I could have scored much higher by correctly building using all of my resources. Anyway loses whinge, and moaners lose.

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=30945713
Cappie

Re: 65 different turn based games.

Post by Cappie »

So which games are still being played?
RicardoRix

Re: 65 different turn based games.

Post by RicardoRix »

Cappie wrote:So which games are still being played?
Hi Cappie.

So really had 68 in total, still to complete:

Amyitis, looks like a victory ;)
Spyrium, (3 player) dunno yet.
Palaces of Carrara, neither of us can finish the requirements, looks like a loss since I badly messed up my scoring pawns.
Hack Trick, looks like a loss unless I somehow pull it back.
Haggis, which I've already narrowly lost, outplayed me thinks, but so, so close. I had 248 points before the last round.
Last edited by RicardoRix on 30 June 2017, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
RicardoRix

34 - 28 - 2 : Haggis (lost)

Post by RicardoRix »

Yeah pretty decent game haggis. From the casual observer it's played with a standard deck of cards, only it's not - nearly but not quite. The flow is pretty good and the dynamics are that of a pretty decent card game, not too heavy, just about right. It does have lots of tension which really does make the game. I think I would still play hearts over this game. Apparently it's a lot like Tichu, which I've never played, but is very popular.

This game - Yowser. I stole defeat out the jaws of victory. I don't know how I managed to blunder so badly, I had 248 points on the final round. Any way well played opponent, played till the end and a deserved victory ;).

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=30945868
RicardoRix

35 - 28 - 2 : Amyitis (won)

Post by RicardoRix »

I've only played 2 games, but I really like Amyitis although I'm not really sure why. I think it might be the diverse gameplay. The theme is solid and gameplay is smooth, there is not direct interaction but lots of interaction comes in the form on fighting for positions EVERYWHERE. Overall I think this is a really nice balanced game. I'm guessing this would be best played with 4 players, although seems to work OK with 2.

This particular game started out quite close, I think we both got to 50 points, but from then on - I dunno, my opponent seem to stop, and what she didn't get - I did get. So in the end a run away victory.

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=30945624
ollyfish2002

Re: 33 - 21 - 2 : Tokaido (lost) (3rd /3)

Post by ollyfish2002 »

RicardoRix wrote:I don't know what to say about this game, it has a really nice theme and looks beautiful, but the game play is totally lost on me.

So I came last, but only by 2 points. I took my turns and collected and bought stuff with very little thought for strategy, I think I missed the last meal which could have put me into the lead..? no idea. A very, very strange game.

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=30946631
Hi,
I think you should think differently about Tokaido and compare to 7 wonders :
Take different set of cards (constructions) with different colors (development ways), which should be collected along a 4 day path (3 ages) by travellers (city mayor) with various abilities (marvels).
Panoramas (civil buildings) give increasing number of points (chains). Souvenirs (science) give exponential number of points.
Temples (military) give points to the most generous donator and lower the other donators.
Finishing a set give extra points (guildes).
Restricting access to stops block the strategy of the others players (limited set of cards per age)

That is why tokaido is not so different from 7 wonders except the zen atttitude...
Remember that both games have the same designer.
my2p
RicardoRix

Re: 33 - 21 - 2 : Tokaido (lost) (3rd /3)

Post by RicardoRix »

ollyfish2002 wrote: Hi,
I think you should think differently about Tokaido and compare to 7 wonders :
Take different set of cards (constructions) with different colors (development ways), which should be collected along a 4 day path (3 ages) by travellers (city mayor) with various abilities (marvels).
Panoramas (civil buildings) give increasing number of points (chains). Souvenirs (science) give exponential number of points.
Temples (military) give points to the most generous donator and lower the other donators.
Finishing a set give extra points (guildes).
Restricting access to stops block the strategy of the others players (limited set of cards per age)

That is why tokaido is not so different from 7 wonders except the zen atttitude...
Remember that both games have the same designer.
my2p
Thanks for the tips. Yes, you are right, I guess I just needed a bit of lateral thinking.

Also, it is the bit you sometimes miss by playing new games on-line - the post-analysis chat with fellow players to help draw some conclusions and what just happened.
RicardoRix

36 - 28 - 2 : Hack Trick (won)

Post by RicardoRix »

If you like Hanabi and looking for a non-cooperative version, then Hack Trick might just fill that gap.

It's very logical and cunning, I definitely recommend trying this game out. As a head-to-head 1v1 game then what it lacks in flavour makes up for in pure gut wrenching tension and a logical battle of the brains.

Well, my opponent timed out, I gave him 5 extra days but all 68 games are now drawing to a close. Unfortunately it was VERY close end game, 3-3 score and at least half way through the last hand - what a time to give up!

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=30946870
Last edited by RicardoRix on 19 July 2017, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
RicardoRix

36 - 29 - 2 : Spyrium (lost) (2nd/3)

Post by RicardoRix »

I've tried and tried to look at this game favourably, but I just don't like it. Sorry. It's quite dry and too long and dull. I don't ever feel I'm in a battle or fighting for anything, it's all too subtle and full of meh choices. The theme and the gameplay are pretty good, but really lacks any kind of sparkle and interaction.

This game I seem to go overboard with spyrium crystals and couldn't covert them all into points.

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=30946442
Last edited by RicardoRix on 19 July 2017, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
RicardoRix

36 - 30 - 2 : Palaces of Carrara (lost)

Post by RicardoRix »

I'm not going to say much. I don't like it. It's very colourful and looks really cool but that's about it.

Almost forgot about this game. I totally, totally messed up my scoring pawns, one really bad flaw of the advanced game that I despise. Very strung out, nobody could finish it, lost by 1 point!

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=30946594

Return to “Discussions”