65 different turn based games. COMPLETE

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
RicardoRix

Summary, final thoughts.

Post by RicardoRix »

Well it was a really good experiment and I highly enjoyed the experience, especially at the start - it was completely mad setting up all the tables and trying to keep in mind what I missed and wanted to play etc. There were some more games that I could have added but I didn't feel they necessarily met the theme of what I was doing, like 6 Nimmt and Hanabi for example (both great games btw) but I purposefully didn't include them. I was going for mainly 2 player head-to-head with a few where 3 players really makes for a better game like Twin Tin Bots.

So initially I thought of doing ALL the games on BGA and perhaps this would be a build up / training for such an event, but now I'm not so sure that would be the best idea, it's just too many games. I'm also not sure that I really want to do it all again, in fact I'm going to take a break from BGA for a bit and just play a few light 2 player games. I really want to learn spanish and do some other real life things. Maybe I'll try again with 80 later in the year.

The actual games here on BGA though are a REALLY good selection. Before learning a new game I already seemed to have a preconceived idea about what the game would be like but actually getting to grips with these games is a whole world to itself. I thought I liked the long and medium length games, when in actual fact the short 2 player games have caught my imagination the most, Quoridor being an excellent but certainly not the only example.

I recommend trying a similar thing yourself. One of each game is really good to keep you on your toes and to keep things fresh. Turn-based games as well really come to life.
Espina

Re: 30 - 16 - 2 : Logger (win)

Post by Espina »

RicardoRix wrote:I like the game, but I don't really know what I'm doing, I haven't quite figured it out yet.

I totally, totally lucked my final turn to win the game. Sorry opponent.

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=30946064
Um... there is no luck in Logger. But congrats :)
Espina

Re: 34 - 25 - 2 : Lost Cities (lost).

Post by Espina »

RicardoRix wrote:Yeah, so so game, very light and easily playable, fairly solid game play, but I can take it or leave it. If you lose you just berate your luck.

This game, yeah - I lost by a country mile, my worst defeat of any 65 games. I berated my luck a lot, enough to calculate how many 8,9, and 10's I didn't get.

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=30946123
There is actually a fair bit of strategy in Lost Cities, although obviously also a lot of luck. Winning or losing one game does not mean much here. The real test of how well you are doing comes from playing the same opponents again and again. If your strategy is better that theirs, you win more than half the time. If both players' strategies/skill are equivalent, then each wins about half the time. (Lawof large numbers...) Of course, to play the game over and over against the same people, you have to love it :)
Espina

Re: 65 different turn based games. COMPLETE

Post by Espina »

So, I only stumbled upon this thread late in the day, but what an awesome experiment! :)
Cappie

Re: 65 different turn based games. COMPLETE

Post by Cappie »

I really like following your experiment RicardoRix. And I was glad to be a small part of with three games. :D

Return to “Discussions”