Stealing translations?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
kisiel365

Stealing translations?

Post by kisiel365 »

Hey, im new to forum but ive been playing on BGA for some time.
I wanted to contribute to community and when I saw poorly translated announce and content of Veggie Garden I decided to help.
I have fixed that with proper Polish grammar, rightful meaning and consistent nomenclature, having in mind that sometimes indirect translations help understand rules easier and just sound much better.
I was very happy to see my translations in the game today until i was checking for final approval in community page and I saw my translations unchanged but signed by januszk0 (mostly) and Daruma90 :(

Does it happen often? It's not like these potential 60 points would mean much to me, it just does not feel right. Definatelly kills motivation to contribute in future (but will most likely translate in future anyway).
PS. I am not whining about it. Just want to know how it works? Last edit wins, is that so?
ufm

Re: Stealing translations?

Post by ufm »

Those things sometimes happen.
Few people add only 1 pointless space or dot to claim translation points. :(

Point is given when the string is authorized for the first time.
When a string is reverted to the previous translation, the date also reverts.
So it essentially becomes edit war if two translators revert each other, but whoever translated first has advantage. :(
Wakan Tanka

Post by Wakan Tanka »

It is not possible to claim translation without making any change. However, even a minor change like adding punctuation will do. The last person who edited the translation gets a credit for it. Translation is validated when it hasn't been modified for 30 days.

One important thing you should notice is that English version can also be modified. This can cause misunderstandings when someone modifies English version after translations to other languages has been made.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Wakan Tanka wrote: One important thing you should notice is that English version can also be modified. This can cause misunderstandings when someone modifies English version after translations to other languages has been made.
Yes, and when the game is new is the most likely time this will be happening. Some of us are just checking the original English to make sure everything is right, but even though that can create a temporary confusion, hopefully in the long run that's helping all the other translations as well.

(As a note, if you look down a little further, there's a specific translation forum if you have more questions.)
Een

Post by Een »

kisiel365 wrote:Hey, im new to forum but ive been playing on BGA for some time.
I wanted to contribute to community and when I saw poorly translated announce and content of Veggie Garden I decided to help.
I have fixed that with proper Polish grammar, rightful meaning and consistent nomenclature, having in mind that sometimes indirect translations help understand rules easier and just sound much better.
I was very happy to see my translations in the game today until i was checking for final approval in community page and I saw my translations unchanged but signed by januszk0 (mostly) and Daruma90 :(

Does it happen often? It's not like these potential 60 points would mean much to me, it just does not feel right. Definatelly kills motivation to contribute in future (but will most likely translate in future anyway).
PS. I am not whining about it. Just want to know how it works? Last edit wins, is that so?
Hi! Thanks for your interest in helping with translations.

I checked the translation for Veggie Garden, and from the translation history it seems that each time one of your translations has been overwritten there was a significant change. The exception being that at some point someone added punctuation in the source English language, so it was changed in Polish too, but then we removed it in English and it was removed too in Polish, and then your translation was reactivated. But if you checked just after the punctuation change, at that moment your translations were indeed just history ;)

I don't speak Polish myself so I can't judge the quality of the changes, but from the history it feels like the translation work is going as it should, with invested translators contributing successively to reach the best possible translation.

Return to “Discussions”