ELO calculations

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
ringersoll

ELO calculations

Post by ringersoll »

Did the ELO calculations change recently?
FreezenFire

Re: ELO calculations

Post by FreezenFire »

I think they must have.
I've got an ELO of 400+ in Can't Stop, but the system also says I've won 18 of the 27 games I've played, and am now ranked 18th.

Absolutely don't agree with that - I shouldn't be 18th, nor should I have an ELO that high. Seems... wrong?
Liallan

Re: ELO calculations

Post by Liallan »

FreezenFire wrote:I think they must have.
I've got an ELO of 400+ in Can't Stop, but the system also says I've won 18 of the 27 games I've played, and am now ranked 18th.

Absolutely don't agree with that - I shouldn't be 18th, nor should I have an ELO that high. Seems... wrong?
You're over-simplifying it. It also says you have 87% hits. This is sort of like the equivalent of having won 87% of 2 player games. If one person plays all 2-player games and wins 50%, you can't compare that with someone else who plays all 4-player games and wins 50%. In the 4-player games, they're beating 3 people instead of just 1 person so the win is "worth more." In 4-player you should only win 25% of the games. (All else being equal of course.) So that % given is adjusting for that. You've won 2/3 of your games but that number by itself isn't all there is to it.

Plus, it depends on who you are beating and losing to and what their level is. The higher the level of the players you beat, the more you get out of it, and vice versa, etc.

So there's more to take into consideration than just how many wins you have.

I'm in the top 20 for China Gold too, and don't feel like I should be, but not because I think the numbers are wrong - but because I don't see myself as being some kind of expert at the game. I do fairly well, but don't feel like I could go up against an expert.

Anyway, yeah, you can find information about ELO. There's posts about it, but none of them say the exact formulas being used (I don't think). There's stuff on the internet about it, but there's also variants and I'm not sure if they've said which one they use here. Plus there's that k factor thing - that you could find in a thread somewhere, but would have to make sure it's a more recent post since they change it. I'm usually willing to try to find stuff, but I've done enough "examining stuff on the site" for one day. :P

Return to “Discussions”