Gaining prestige by loosing games?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Jest Phulin

Gaining prestige by loosing games?

Post by Jest Phulin »

I haven't paid attention to my overall prestige, but I'm getting notifications that seem strange.

Whenever a player achieves a ranking category (average, good, master, etc.) they gain prestige. I fully understand this happening when they go up to that level. However, I'm getting the notification of gained prestige when I lose a game and drop to the next level. I also get the notification when I regain the level I previously had.

Does this mean that a player can gain a lot of prestige by getting to the break point between two ranks, then bouncing between them? If so, this seems like an exploitable loophole.
izumi_ futamegawa

Re: Gaining prestige by loosing games?

Post by izumi_ futamegawa »

When a player loses a game and his rank drops from 1st to 2nd, a message that he is now the 2nd player pop up, with +25000 prestige
the old 50000 prestige is gone
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Jest Phulin wrote:Whenever a player achieves a ranking category (average, good, master, etc.) they gain prestige. I fully understand this happening when they go up to that level. However, I'm getting the notification of gained prestige when I lose a game and drop to the next level. I also get the notification when I regain the level I previously had.
Yup. I've had this happen numerous times. It just happened on two recent games cause I dropped below a threshold. It does seem a bit silly, but I've never worried about my prestige so I've never cared about it or bothered to post about it. It happened a lot after the ELO change because I was hitting levels in the new ELO as though I hadn't been there before - of course, that would have happened to everyone and I guess makes it fair.

It never occurred to me about exploiting it, but yes I suppose you could do that. But I would think anyone who cares about their prestige enough to do a thing like that would also care about their ELO enough to not want to flub it up on purpose. ??
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

There is nothing to exploit.

As izumi already said, as you change rank or score the old prestige is replaced with the new one.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Thanks for the responses. Like I said, I never paid attention to my total prestige to see if the old prestige went away or not.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

N_Faker wrote:There is nothing to exploit.

As izumi already said, as you change rank or score the old prestige is replaced with the new one.
Ah, I misunderstood that. I thought that meant that what used to reward 50,000 now only rewards 25,000 and I couldn't figure out how that was relevant. :D It means the 1st place 50,000 is replaced with the 2nd place 25,000. I see now, thanks.

Return to “Discussions”