Question about rankings...

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
JS32

Question about rankings...

Post by JS32 »

I am new to this site. What is the difference in conceding to a game compared to finishing it out and losing? I notice when conceding a win is given but not a 1 next to the winner (in say a one vs one game). Appreciate any explanation. Thank you.
Jest Phulin

Re: Question about rankings...

Post by Jest Phulin »

There is no difference.

First, conceding is only available in 1v1 games. It was designed for use when the game is more than half over, and the outcome is clear to the losing player: they can end the game without wasting the other player's time. In games with more than 2 players, each person can affect the outcome of the game, so all need to play to the end.

As far as ranking goes, the ELO system doesn't calculate score: a win of 99-1 is the same as a win of 51-49. As such, no score is needed for the winner.

As a side note, this has caused some issues with tournament games where a tie is possible. In tournaments, the tie goes to (gah, I forget. Either the person with the most thinking time left or the person with the higher ELO at the start of the match, I forget which) a specific person, who may not be the person who didn't concede. As such, people could concede the game, and move on to the next round of the tournament. This was considered a bad thing (tm) :), so it is impossible to concede certain tournament games now.

Return to “Discussions”