Same IP Players Now Premium?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
pinkyandthebrain

Re: Same IP Players Now Premium?

Post by pinkyandthebrain »

Maybe, if they do need money to continue developing the site and pay their salaries then they should just bite the bullet and squeeze in some advertising. Yeah it might be an irritant but if it generates a lot more revenue and makes a healthy profit for the owners I would definitely not begrudge them for doing so. Everyone has to earn a living, hopefully one that allows a few nice things. I’m happy there is a place to play all these games you may or may not own that your real life friends aren't geeky enough to play.
yoyote

Post by yoyote »

Isdariel wrote:I see the errors in my way now. Forgive me, for I have sinned! How could I be so blinded in my ignorance not seeing everything BGA has done for us? That it was like a mother to us in time of need, entertaining, loving, caring? How could we dare critize the holy grail of online boardgames itself? From now on, we shall we thankful for anything and everything forever and ever, and no thought of change shall cross our minds. Let those heretics who disagree be told: You are but spoiled children! Begone!
I know people can be upset when he can do something, and one day he can't do it anymomre. But in this case, I think it is possible to regard a glass as either half full or half empty. I prefer the first one.

And I still don't understand poeple who say things like "I will now actively condemn BGA and recommend alternatives where possible." just because of "same IP premium fact". And at least, if this issue is so so important, there is a simple solution.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

yoyote wrote:
Isdariel wrote:I see the errors in my way now. Forgive me, for I have sinned! How could I be so blinded in my ignorance not seeing everything BGA has done for us? That it was like a mother to us in time of need, entertaining, loving, caring? How could we dare critize the holy grail of online boardgames itself? From now on, we shall we thankful for anything and everything forever and ever, and no thought of change shall cross our minds. Let those heretics who disagree be told: You are but spoiled children! Begone!
I know people can be upset when he can do something, and one day he can't do it anymomre. But in this case, I think it is possible to regard a glass as either half full or half empty. I prefer the first one.
It's actually a good analogy. I'm a realist. If it was full and you drank half, it's half empty. If it was empty and you fill it up halfway, it's half full.

If same-IP had never existed and they added it as a premium feature, no one would be complaining. That's half full because it didn't already exist and got added. Since it already existed and got taken away as a freebie, and now suddenly people who used it have had it yanked out from under them, they are complaining. That's half empty. And that's what happened. This isn't affecting me at all, but I certainly do understand why this upset people. And again, without any kind of announcement or warning, that makes people even more upset. If you want people to deal with change, you need to involve them in the change, explain it, be up front about it, etc. None of that happened, so it's natural for people to be more upset when it happens in that manner.
And I still don't understand poeple who say things like "I will now actively condemn BGA and recommend alternatives where possible." just because of "same IP premium fact". And at least, if this issue is so so important, there is a simple solution.
They're letting off steam. And for some of them, it might be very important. For someone like me, who has a group, who has other places to play, who doesn't even have anyone living with me, and has no need for this feature, it makes no difference. But for someone who came here and has been playing with a spouse on the same IP for many years, and they have no group and no one else to play with, and can't afford a whole new collection of games (which generally cost that much+ just for one game, let alone a collection - expensive hobby), this can make a world of difference to them and may have just totally ruined a hobby. I'm not saying BGA is responsible for their hobby, because the site didn't have to exist to begin with. But regardless of the site and their need for money, how those people feel about that has to be respected. (The site will have to decide for themselves how they feel about that situation. They have a right to do what they want, but it's up to them to see what effect things have and how they feel about how people feel.)

I get that some people are like children. I work with that every day, and I can also see the differences from 20 years ago. People are tending more towards wanting everyone else to do everything for them, not taking responsibility, being incapable of taking care of business... Yes, this absolutely does exist. (But when I think someone who wants the site to make a night mode ought to take responsibility for herself, I get jumped on. Where were all of you then?) So this group of people does exist, and I know darn well some people complaining fit into this category cause they think life is a free ride. But not everyone belongs in that stereotype.

I also think a few people need to learn that that amount of money is not piddly to a lot of people. No one can judge someone else's finances, which includes sourisdudesert (who does it all the time). Whatever it seems to you, may not be the same to other people. And no, it's not just people in countries where that might be their entire monthly pay, but can be true in places like the U.S. I am quite sure there are those who can afford it and choose not to, but there are others who cannot. The majority of members here are not paying members.

(yoyote, not all of this is necessarily addressed to you. I just read several posts in a row, pretty much both agreeing and disagreeing with all of them, so I'm just sort of addressing it all, whoever said it)
lstren

Post by lstren »

sourisdudesert wrote:
Jbrom03 wrote:Is this a permanent decision?
Well... playing on BGA from the same location is not something common as you can play with the real physical board game. It makes sense to make it a Premium feature, so that we can make sure that practicaly no one would use BGA to avoid buying the real physical game.

In addition, we introduced recently the "Hotseat mode", a new Premium feature that allow you to play with your friends from the same screen. But it makes no sense to have Hotseat as a Premium feature if you can just open 2 browsers and play from the same screen for free.

Finally, playing from the same location has been used by many players to cheat the ranking system by playing against themselves. By making this a premium feature we strongly limit this.

So there is at least 3 good reasons to take this decision :)
I haven't read every post in this thread, but what I've gathered from the first 2 pages is that you only need one premium account for everyone to play.

So, if that's true, how is it less likely to promote people from cheating. Wouldn't they just have to have one premium account as well?

Personally I have been promoting this website by showing it to my friends and co-workers while at the same location. I'm not about to start paying to do advertising for you. I think this has more negative implications that may have been originally foreseen.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

This most definitely has a bug.

I just tried to join a game and it told me I had the same IP as one of the players and I had to be premium to play with her. Um, well, not only have I never heard of her before, but she's in Switzerland and I'm in the US, so I'm pretty darn sure I don't have the same IP and never have.

The table admin is in Switzerland, and two players "are expected," meaning friends, so the table admin and this other person might be at the same location, but that sure shouldn't affect me or keep me from joining the game.

EDIT: Those of you reporting this bug: please don't start a new one! There's already two that I have seen and that was just with a quick glance. We need some thumbs on ONE of them.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Liallan wrote:This most definitely has a bug.

There was indeed a bug, and I managed to solve it thanks to Liallan informations. The bug was caused when the table administrator was inviting someone from the same location. The next player to join the table was having the error, while he/she shouldn't have.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

sourisdudesert wrote:

There was indeed a bug, and I managed to solve it thanks to Liallan informations. The bug was caused when the table administrator was inviting someone from the same location. The next player to join the table was having the error, while he/she shouldn't have.
THANKS! :-)
Lady Kate

Post by Lady Kate »

Have you considered incorporating a non-subscription option? For example, players pay for credits and each game costs a certain number of credits? (A good example of this model is conceptispuzzles.com) I have no problem monetarily supporting the site, but I'm not going to sign up for yet another subscription.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

sourisdudesert wrote:
Could this be linked to this bug. The displayed username is wrong on joining.
Macklehatton

Post by Macklehatton »

Trying to play board games with my family back home. After an hour and a half of talking them through how to set up an account and join a game I find out this is "not something common" and requires premium. Why should I buy your product if you haven't thought much about my use case? I'm probably someone who would consider a premium account given my situation, but only after you've demonstrated the basics of 'games over the internet' that I came looking for in the first place.

Return to “Discussions”