Same IP Players Now Premium?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Jbrom03

Same IP Players Now Premium?

Post by Jbrom03 »

I am a premium member of BGA. For around a year and a half, myself and usually 4 co-workers who are not premium, like to play at lunch. Now we cannot unless we all go premium. It was a quick decision for everyone to not play on here anymore. Which means I have no reason to continue my premium membership either. So this change will actually lose you a member in our case.

Is this a permanent decision?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Re: Same IP Players Now Premium?

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hi,

To play with the same location (ex: same IP address), you need to have at least 1 premium member at the table. Once you are premium, you can play with no limitations, which means that there is no need for your opponents (playing from the same location) to be premium.

If this is not the case, please write us at contact(at)boardgamearena.com so we can see what's wrong.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Jbrom03 wrote:Is this a permanent decision?
Well... playing on BGA from the same location is not something common as you can play with the real physical board game. It makes sense to make it a Premium feature, so that we can make sure that practicaly no one would use BGA to avoid buying the real physical game.

In addition, we introduced recently the "Hotseat mode", a new Premium feature that allow you to play with your friends from the same screen. But it makes no sense to have Hotseat as a Premium feature if you can just open 2 browsers and play from the same screen for free.

Finally, playing from the same location has been used by many players to cheat the ranking system by playing against themselves. By making this a premium feature we strongly limit this.

So there is at least 3 good reasons to take this decision :)
trolo28

Post by trolo28 »

I want to play with my friend. But I cant because of 'same location', but we have different IP adress. Yes, we are near each other, but we use different provider of the internet. From today we cant play together. Could you explain it? It can be possible that because at the past we have played at the same IP address db of server holds. Personally I suppose that a lot of players will stop playing at this page. Thank you for advance at this issue.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

trolo28 wrote:I want to play with my friend. But I cant because of 'same location', but we have different IP adress. Yes, we are near each other,
As long as you play from the same place one of you must be Premium. This is the case here (as you said, you are near each other). There is no need for both of you to become Premium: only 1 premium member per table is needed.
Jbrom03

Post by Jbrom03 »

Your reasons of the same IP do make sense. However, as of today it's not allowing us to play, even though I am premium.

The error message says:
"Playing from the same location is a premium feature"

So to clarify, I can play with 1 person from my work. However if a second person joins, they are getting the error that they cannot play.

For the past year and a half, this hasn't been an issue.

You are correct about the idea of playing the physical version. In our case, it's easier to play on the computers while we eat as well as keep track of ELO etc and play with strangers as well.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

@Jbrom03: thanks for reporting this. There was indeed a bug for 3+ players configuration.

It should be solved now: as soon as you are at a table (as Premium member), you should be able to play with whoever you want to, even with players at the same place.
Royii

Post by Royii »

Thank can't play more with friends to thoses games. Times to leave the site i think if it's neccessary to buy premium...
Royii

Post by Royii »

You will only lose players by doing it i think...
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

sourisdudesert wrote:Well... playing on BGA from the same location is not something common as you can play with the real physical board game. It makes sense to make it a Premium feature, so that we can make sure that practicaly no one would use BGA to avoid buying the real physical game.
I thought that was the point of digitizing the games... Ease of use and lack of hassling with a physical version.
sourisdudesert wrote:Finally, playing from the same location has been used by many players to cheat the ranking system by playing against themselves. By making this a premium feature we strongly limit this.
Automatically disabling ELO whenever there are 'same location' players, seemed to be the more sensible choice. Premium players will still be able to do it with this change.

The Hotseat function appears to be mostly used for familiarizing oneself with new games.

Return to “Discussions”