Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Liallan

Re: Same IP Players Now Premium?

Post by Liallan »

veme wrote: Re: Liallan

There are few things I appreciate more than candor.
Well, that's good. :-) I wish more people would be more honest - it just makes things easier, and besides, then I wouldn't seem so dang out of place. :lol:
I never said that I thought people were thieves for using a free service, I said how I would feel if I were using this site in that one particular way. This gives me little sympathy for the argument "Since I don't feel like setting up my game, it should be available to everyone in the world for free." Why should we allow for the possibility of mooching, just to provide a minor convenience for those who aren't?
I know you were speaking about how you would feel. But it's a bit like saying I would feel bad if I made a bunch of noise outside at 2 am, but when someone else does it and doesn't feel bad, stress that I would feel bad. I'm sort of saying they ought to feel bad as well. Or, most people who would feel like a thief for copying software to use probably consider anyone else that does it is a thief too. So I'm having a hard time believing you don't feel this way about it when it's someone else besides yourself. I mean, maybe you don't, but then why mention it?

And I agree with you that everything should not be made available and free to everyone "just" because they're too lazy to set up a game. It's not hurting that's it's available for free, but I don't think they have an excuse to be upset if it weren't available. But don't you think the site is already allowing for mooching? What if I don't want to buy some game (and I can afford it), and I'm too lazy to drive to my friend's house 3 miles away, so I play online here instead. Aren't I "mooching" and taking advantage? I think in a sense we're all taking advantage, and I don't mean cheating the site, but rather just making use of, and taking advantage of the opportunity, the availability of the site. Somewhere is a fine line between what most of us are doing and what is stepping over the line. That line is going to be in a different place for everyone, and I don't know even where I believe it is.

But I do kind of believe when a site has made something available for free for a long time, and then suddenly something changes so drastically, it's going to be like hitting a brick wall for some people, and they'll be upset. For anyone who has been playing on the same IP with someone else for a long time, this is pretty drastic for them. And that includes those who play with strangers all over the world in addition to playing with family or friends - they count in this as well. In a way, it would be like taking 30% of the games I play and suddenly making them premium - I would find that pretty drastic. (And see my above post about why I'm not excited about this even though it doesn't affect me.)
I think the board game community should be interested in making sure that people who work/pay to provide these games and services are compensated in some way such that they are motivated to keep doing it, and this change, to me, closes off a possible way for people to leech off their contributions while providing nothing in return.
I get your point, but (a) that assumes there's a high percentage of people "leeching," and (b) makes too much sense. I'm sure there are quite a few people around here who don't give one thought to motivating the site to keep going. It would be nice to believe everyone cared that much. And (c) I think the publishers know a certain amount of people are "leeching" and have probably considered that and found it a necessary evil, or an "acceptable loss" so to speak. When a site like this exists, it's certainly understood that people are "using" the site in a sense.
You claimed to understand that point (when Isdariel pointed it out), and yet said to him, "And I can still think your opinion about it is selfish and short-sighted." He didn't say anything at all that even remotely suggested he fit the above description, but it certainly sounds like you think he does, though I don't know for what reason.
My comment was specifically in response to theirs: "I still don't have to like a change that impacts me negatively." This is the definition of a selfish reason to be against something. It is not based on a careful consideration of pros and cons, or a logical analysis of how the change impacts the community, it is purely self-serving.
Most people don't like things that affect them negatively. That is human nature. He also didn't say he hated it - he was just pointing out that he didn't have to like it, and he doesn't. I think you're taking the comment too seriously, or you're even more extremely literal than I am. Even when someone can see the overall good results something might have, they can still not like it for its negative impact on them personally. I find nothing selfish about that at all. I call it not being a robot. And my comments apply to this too:
I also never said Isdariel was selfish or short-sighted, just that I thought their opinion about this is.
It is very often that we don't like a particular thing someone did or a particular opinion, but can still like the person - I'm totally aware of that. (In fact, I think that's a requirement of life since no two people would ever 100% agree on everything.)

(Is it just me, or this is getting a bit longish... )
Isdariel

Post by Isdariel »

veme wrote:I wonder though (thinking about Isdariel's point, and the situation mentioned about two groups in different places wanting to play together), if maybe this would be better implemented as a "no games where everyone is from the same IP" policy, instead of what it seems to be now, a "no games where any two non-members are from the same IP" policy.
I can't really argue with a change that gives me exactly what I want, being selfish and all (no side blow intended ;-) ), but it makes me ponder (what I think is) the underlying assumption: "Players who play with local friends are generating less revenue for [BGA and/or Game Developers] than players who play with strangers." From that assumption it follows that low-revenue generating players should be behind a paywall and high-revenue generating players should be able to play for free. Do you agree with both assumption and conclusion or have I missed a point?

Regarding game developers: They benefit from the advertisement effect of their games (and whatever deals they cut with BGA, but I suspect they won't be getting much). More players playing their game => more players buying their games. This advertisement effect is there, whether you play the game with strangers or with your local group (who knows, it might even be stronger on locals as they already know people they can play the game with IRL)

Regarding BGA: This is more tricky and I have absolutely no idea. Are some features more interesting for those who play with strangers? Statistic checking and tournament creation maybe? Video/Voice chat, if anyone actually uses that? For all other features (except the you-can't-play-together-at-all-'feature' we are discussing right now) I don't see any differences. New games, no waiting and the simple desire to support the site you love(d) surely apply to everyone.
PurryMahal

Post by PurryMahal »

Would like to take this opportunity to thank you and the rest of the team for the great times I had playing 8183 games on this site since first finding out about it.

Since I want to keep inviting my wife to games I play online (also with other remote players), I feel obliged to move our game group to a different free gaming site.

Sorry to realise that all the hours I spent on this site did not generate any financial value for the admin team. Such a shame. Thousands of wasted hours worth 0 value to you. And that's just from me. Millions of hours from thousands of users have been worthless to you. Very sad.
Vezna

Post by Vezna »

I've had much fun on this site, mostly playing with my girlfriend. And paying 2 euro's a month for this service is actually very reasonable. I don't like the fact it came like a slap, suddenly, unannounced, which is why I'm still considering the purchase. But I have already seen this mentioned, I'd like to raise one other issue about this change (I've fast scrolled through some posts so pardon me if this has already been mentioned).

The fact is that I already know that gaming here is pretty great experience. But if I were a new user and wanted to try the site, this restriction would have essentially prevented me from doing so and given the competition online, I think I would have simply went to another site, before even considering touching my wallet.
I believe that you just nuked the "hey friend, let me show you this great gaming site" variant of promoting your site. Perhaps limiting the number of same IP games possible per week/month would let people try out the site while incentivizing them more to buy the premium.
I wish you all best in your business.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Vezna wrote: I believe that you just nuked the "hey friend, let me show you this great gaming site" variant of promoting your site. Perhaps limiting the number of same IP games possible per week/month would let people try out the site while incentivizing them more to buy the premium.
I wish you all best in your business.
That's not a bad idea. It's also possible that something like that already exists or they have plans for it. Back when ELO was only for paying members, they allowed new members to see this information for a short time, so I could see them doing that with some of the other premium features as well.

The thing is, the new members should be warned of what they are getting for free, but that will go away after a certain period of time. When they were hiding ELO from non-paying members, it was a bit of a surprise that it suddenly disappeared and I didn't understand why. And if I wanted to play with someone at the same IP and could do that when I first joined, I would certainly want warning that it's a "try it" feature and will go away after x time or x games.
mannzerhacker

Post by mannzerhacker »

This is painfully stupid; you have invented an obstacle (easily circumvented by VPNs and the like) only to charge to remove it. You'd be much better off actually providing value rather than inventing features (like hotseat) which you know are useless (via multiple tabs/windows). It has become apparent by this action that BGA is actually hostile toward its "free" community.

I don't need that in my life.

A huge second to the above:
I believe that you just nuked the "hey friend, let me show you this great gaming site" variant of promoting your site.

I will now actively condemn BGA and recommend alternatives where possible.
yoyote

Post by yoyote »

I really don't understand all this rejection of BGA. With such a free website without advertising, or we are content with the disadvantages of free, or we buy a premium subscription. But when I read people moaning so much, I feel as if children are spoiled ...
Caffe Latte

Post by Caffe Latte »

The same feeling. To be honest, I see parallels with their attitude towards life and incapability to earn 24 EUR for a YEAR (!!!!!) membership.
Especially funny when someone complains about not working games in work.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

No point in being demeaning.

For a small portion of players this change effectively makes the site Pay to Play, so of course they will be upset.
Isdariel

Post by Isdariel »

I see the errors in my way now. Forgive me, for I have sinned! How could I be so blinded in my ignorance not seeing everything BGA has done for us? That it was like a mother to us in time of need, entertaining, loving, caring? How could we dare critize the holy grail of online boardgames itself? From now on, we shall we thankful for anything and everything forever and ever, and no thought of change shall cross our minds. Let those heretics who disagree be told: You are but spoiled children! Begone!

:roll:

I can see that both of you already have premium accounts. Great! It's nice of you to support BGA. I could imagine that from your point of view "playing from the same IP" looks like no big deal, a minor, optional 'feature' that you don't need anyway. Those few who really want it could just get a premium accunt, right? That's the way of life: If you want extra service, you pay. Otherwise you make due with what you get for free.
Except that - and this is important - for a minority of players it's not a minor feature, it's a must-have feature. A dealbreaker. And by making that feature premium you force them to make a decision: Pay or go! And nobody likes to be coerced into something.

Return to “Discussions”