A new way to boost elo : Turn-based tournaments

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Carrie Lam

A new way to boost elo : Turn-based tournaments

Post by Carrie Lam »

what you need - a large amount of time, the skills to know how to the end of game

I notice that some players boost elo successfully through TURN-BASED tournaments so I would like to share it
As some matches usually end by a player fails to finish before their time limit, they are said to be lost
This usually happens when the time limit is really tight or a player doesn't prepare to finish the game within the time limit before participating in the tournament
Turn-based tournaments usually have time limit much shorter than the normal game. They have to end earlier, but I guess not every player plans the same time and they lose games because they are expelled once their time is used up.

Example (player Shummi)
This guy boost elo successfully in battleship and stir fry 18. Lets talk about battleship first.

https://imgur.com/a/VbdUz

In turn based game if a player fails to end the time because all his time is used up, his opponents gets 100% elo of the game unlike in normal game the player get the elo at the game progression that the guy is expelled
So in battleship, Shummi boost elo from 316 to 362 in 7 games in a row that his opponents fail to play before the time limit
Although the game shows to end by (Game abandoned, need to search without choosing finished games only), Shummi still gets elo
Shummi gets 23 victories in 26 games, but 9 of them is from their opponent is expelled because they cant finish before their time (even though they will win if the game ends properly)

Then in Stir fry 18, Shummi, who has a record that elo is reset to 100 due to cheating now use a new method to boost elo

https://imgur.com/a/uRtVV
https://imgur.com/a/jmERg

his elo goes from 311 to 363, them from 383 to 432 in 11 games and 10 games respectively
all games ends in the above way

This is terrible that only 7 out of 28 games do Shummi win in a normal way, but he skips the normal elo competition path and reach a level that normal players cannot reach. The higher the elo, the less the elo a player can gain so it becomes difficult to challenge Shummi since it is difficult to win games in a row (28games) in luck-involved game.

I appreciate the creativity to discover this method but I think it violates the elo system which provides fun by allowing players to play with similar elo players, and it is also unfair to normal players.
ufm

Re: A new way to boost elo : Turn-based tournaments

Post by ufm »

This seems to be occurred in Jaipur, Tokaido, and Stone age too.
After all, the message says 'Game abandoned' but somehow ELO changes. This is misleading and easily abusable.
_Kex_

Post by _Kex_ »

Carrie Lam wrote: Example (player Shummi)
i'm playing against him in one game of Can't Stop and a funny coincidence, or a clever strategy, is that he will never make a move as long as I am labelled as "online". but as soon as I go offline - he plays.
I don't know if he's trying to make me go out of time or maybe It's really just a coincidence :|
Aspiration

Post by Aspiration »

_Kex_ wrote:
Carrie Lam wrote: Example (player Shummi)
i'm playing against him in one game of Can't Stop and a funny coincidence, or a clever strategy, is that he will never make a move as long as I am labelled as "online". but as soon as I go offline - he plays.
I don't know if he's trying to make me go out of time or maybe It's really just a coincidence :|
It's not a coincidence. With me, he also played in the tournament game Lost Cities. He really did not get anything out of it, as I quite often went to the site and made my moves after it. In the end, even his time was almost over, but I still had. I was ready to throw him out of the game, after his time, because I did not like this manner of his game. He does it intentionally.
The game was still fair and he lost, but I do not want to play with him anymore. Also I do not really want to meet him in tournament games, but here I can not influence this. Very cunning type, practicing dishonest game.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

I think I'm playing against someone doing this currently in a Quantum tournament. He almost always shows as online when I'm taking my turn, but mostly doesn't take any moves until after I've given up on seeing if he'll move while I'm watching. Could just be a coincidence, but it makes me weary to join anymore tournaments quicker than 1 turn/day in the future because I'm likely going to run out of time on this game while my opponent still has almost all of their time left. :/
RobbyD

Post by RobbyD »

well the way to beat at their own game is to support BGA for a measly $25approx you get YEAR premium membership which you get email alerts..to where you need to empty your box frequently. So, get your alert give it 25 min and they probably will be off themself. if would be nice if we could set borders by regoin for tourneyments like the americas,, eurasia/ africa east asia/australia would keep things moving. I got a stonage game that is going on a month because the flipflop of time zones...alot of people speak english form all over that doesnt make it 0GMT to +6 GMT
Espina

Post by Espina »

RobbyD wrote:well the way to beat at their own game is to support BGA for a measly $25approx you get YEAR premium membership which you get email alerts..to where you need to empty your box frequently. So, get your alert give it 25 min and they probably will be off themself. if would be nice if we could set borders by regoin for tourneyments like the americas,, eurasia/ africa east asia/australia would keep things moving. I got a stonage game that is going on a month because the flipflop of time zones...alot of people speak english form all over that doesnt make it 0GMT to +6 GMT
Well, if you are creating the tournament yourself, you can make it invitation-only, and only invite people you enjoy playing with.
Many Nyngui

Post by Many Nyngui »

paying for membership does not help, there must be other tournaments which are open to everyone.

if a player reserves enough time for each tournament joined, he should be able to finish within the time limit without the email alerts for members. It is important that players know they should finish within the time limit before joining turn based games.

Return to “Discussions”