not getting beginner gifts ? why

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
yodamus

not getting beginner gifts ? why

Post by yodamus »

hello new to bga...i see where we can earn gift points for playing with beginners...if they thank you...it says you get 3 gift points..i have played with 2 beginners...they said thank you...yet i see 0 gift points...why did this happen ? ...am i reading something wrong about how you get beginner help points ?? somebody inform me..i sent email to bga .. they are not responding...so i came here for answers...thanks,mark
Liallan

Re: not getting beginner gifts ? why

Post by Liallan »

As far as I've ever been able to tell, the new player has to give you a green thumb as there isn't anywhere to say "thank you." But I never got any gift points when new players gave me green thumbs. I've also heard that it has to be done from the ending game screen directly, so like if I were to pull the game back up from my profile or notifications, maybe it doesn't work. This is one of those things that is difficult to tell.

It's also difficult for a new player to even understand or know because they aren't really directed towards this and last I looked, the FAQs just said a "thank you," which has no meaning if it has to be a green thumb. (They aren't the same thing after all.)

But, you'll get more gift points from winning your first game (each individual game) and other things, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
yodamus

Post by yodamus »

thanks for the answers..so basically that 3 gift points for playing with a beginner is bogus ...so sad..great site should not have bogus promos ...should be automatic..no need for beginner to do anything..play with a beginner to help them learn game..no thank you..no green button after game..just reward ..get 3 gift points...easy as pie for someone that codes this site..hope they fix it..no real biggie...just do not like sites promoting promos that are not actually promos..bogus statements do not help promote your site...when i tell others of this site they will come back to me asking the same time i am asking..not good...and why does this site not reply to an email about this ??? no customer service ?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

OK - I'm not going to defend them and pretend that this is easy to do or understand. However, you're putting the blame in the wrong place.

The gift points aren't "bogus." They do exist and I have known people to get them for playing with new people. The problem does not lie in the fact that they have some kind of "fake promo" going on. The problem lies in the fact that they aren't very forthcoming about information in the first place, i.e. they don't always explain how things work very well. The FAQs are somewhat lacking, and even if you go to the Wiki and find more, there's still a lot missing. It took me a long time to figure out how a lot of things worked around here, and even asking on the forums I quite frequently did not get answers. (I will say that I think people get answers here a lot more than they did when I first started, but there are definitely other sites where the forums are more active and answers can be easier to get.)

No, they don't mean "thank you" literally. But there really is a green thumb and isn't just for the sake of this "promo." The problem is just that they don't really have the information available to a beginning so that the person knows what they are supposed to do and why.

I absolutely would not want it to be automatic. If I were the beginner, perhaps I wouldn't want to thank the person who played with me. What if they were not very helpful or even rude with me or made fun of my playing, etc.? Can you see why this should not be automatic? It really should be left up to the player. They don't necessarily need to change the process itself, but rather make sure a beginner is informed about it and how to go about doing it. Not everyone will even want to do that, but that's really up to them, and it's not up to the site to "make them."

But I do agree they should stop calling it "saying thank you" because that isn't literal - they either need to call it what it is, a green thumb, or maybe call it "thanking you by leaving a green thumb."
ckwatt

Post by ckwatt »

Thanks, Liallan! This explains something I have never understood either.

And I agree, it really should be fixed. It is at best very misleading and I have also wondered why I wasn't "thanked". I mean I'm happy to help new players anyway, but if you are indeed very helpful and expect to be "thanked" and it doesn't happen, you begin to wonder about the other player.

Return to “Discussions”