Connection Problems

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
NemesisPlays9

Connection Problems

Post by NemesisPlays9 »

Didn't see a section for help so sorry if this is not the right place. I've been playing here for about 10 days with no problems. As of last night I've started getting "Unable to contact the server. Are you connected to the internet?" messages every time I click on something, including this forum. The rest of the internet seems to be fine. I searched online and found only one suggestion, to clear my cache. Tried it, didn't work. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Christes

Re: Connection Problems

Post by Christes »

I'm having the same issue.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

This isn't that uncommon. Clearing your cache may or may not do anything. You can also try rebooting. (I sometimes have to reboot to clear out memory.) Also, there are probably more problems with the internet than people often realize - just little hiccups and such, and some things are far more particular about these hiccups than other places, or you just don't notice. I think this site is more prone to having issues with it than a lot of places.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

I'm having the same issue (from the US)

Interestingly enough, the same time I started having issues here, I also developed issues with boiteajeux.net, which is also hosted in France. I'm not sure if this is coincidence or indicative of something behind the scenes. My gaming site out of the Netherlands works fine.

When this has happened before, it usually cleared up in about a week.
asd123321

Post by asd123321 »

I have been getting this also on this site only from USA with 3 different browsers the past day. When Europe gets
home from work, it just stops. constant Unable to contact the server. Are you connected to the internet?"
Christes

Post by Christes »

This one is definitely on BoardGameArena's end, not my end. The same thing was also happening when I tested it at work. Maybe it has to do with my region.

But the most frustrating part was the condescending email I got from timing out on turn 1 during a game. It lectured me on how important it is to not quit games midstream. So not only did I lose a bunch of elo, now I've got the site blaming me for their problems. :roll:
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Christes wrote:But the most frustrating part was the condescending email I got from timing out on turn 1 during a game. It lectured me on how important it is to not quit games midstream. So not only did I lose a bunch of elo, now I've got the site blaming me for their problems. :roll:
I'm quite sure that email is automated, so no one is literally blaming you for their problems. Contact an admin about that.

This either has to be a timing issue or a combination of things, because I haven't had any trouble at all. Sometimes I do have this trouble, like a lot on a single evening, but not within the last few days.
blubgame

Post by blubgame »

I have same problem: "Unable to contact the server. Are you connected to the internet?" message after almost each turn in Carcassonne.
Playing for almost 2 months and never had this problem, only last 1-3 days.
Tortom

Post by Tortom »

Love the games on BGA but the speed and reliability are really terrible. I think the fact that it is generally very slow means that during busy periods it becomes very painful to use.

Wish they would focus on this problem even if it meant they stopped adding games or even made the site more expensive.
asd123321

Post by asd123321 »

just bad thur fri, OK after

Return to “Discussions”