Language elitists

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Tevra

Language elitists

Post by Tevra »

Please could we get a language requirement on game creation.
edit: sorry what meant to say is that we need a way to filter out table admins with specific language. As it is they dont care about what requirements they set.

This new thing have started happening, disgustingly often. Almost exlusively pertains to user with zh as language. One joins a game, then after 5 to 20 minutes, after it filled up the table admin start kicking each non zh lanuage player as zh players joins or they kick all and starts with less players than they initially wanted, so as its only zh language players. Ive watched a few of their games too, they dont even type in the chat. Regardless in the end there is only mandarin speakers in the game.

Its extremely rude to do this. Worst is with libertalia and incan gold for example, where it can be tricky to get lots people. When they could have 6-8 players all with perfect score and the board admin kicks all non zh players and starts the game with just 2 or 3 people... its a disgusting behavior.
ckwatt

Re: Language elitists

Post by ckwatt »

I'm not exactly sure what you are proposing, but one solution would be to make it impossible to expel a player who has been waiting more than 5 or so minutes. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Otherwise, I agree that this sort of behavior (allowing players to wait and then booting them without warning) is terrible and should be a reportable offence. Admins: Would that in fact be grounds for action?
JehanBon

Post by JehanBon »

I also see this or more specifically suffer from it more than once.
I can understand this for some games were speaking and bluff have an influence, but if you say that they don't even speak... :roll:
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Hasn't there already been requests to be able to filter an invitation for a language? (Maybe they don't know if they're going to talk.) But it certainly would be a better way if someone really does only want their language. Of course, we don't really know what is going on there and I would not care to presume their motives. (Nor do I ever want to tell anyone who they "have to" play with, whether I agree with their tactics or not.) The one thing I would agree with is if they're going to kick people, try to do it more quickly. Taking up to 20 minutes is ridiculous. (I'd be curious about the turn-based but that would be a pain to track.)

All that said, I don't think I would worry about it a whole lot. I don't take their games anyway, because at least half of the games I had that were abandoned had the "zh" people on them (Taiwan more specifically), which is a pretty high percentage when you consider all the languages here. I got really tired of all the abandoned games, so I just started doing what I needed to do to keep it to a minimum.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Rastafla wrote:Please could we get a language requirement on game creation.
edit: sorry what meant to say is that we need a way to filter out table admins with specific language.

I should add I don't agree with this idea. I don't think you can tell people they can't be a table admin just because of the language they speak. If they are displaying bad behavior, it's not specifically because of their language, so any solution has to be related to that actual behavior. And what of those who speak that language but aren't doing anything?
NaceWindu

Post by NaceWindu »

Liallan wrote:
Rastafla wrote:Please could we get a language requirement on game creation.
edit: sorry what meant to say is that we need a way to filter out table admins with specific language.

I should add I don't agree with this idea. I don't think you can tell people they can't be a table admin just because of the language they speak. If they are displaying bad behavior, it's not specifically because of their language, so any solution has to be related to that actual behavior. And what of those who speak that language but aren't doing anything?

I don't think that is quite what he meant. I think he meant that we as players should have a filter that we can set that will not show us tables where the admin speaks a certain language (i.e. zh), not that we ban players that speak a certain language from creating tables. On the flip side, perhaps admins should have filters that they can use to limit the languages that can join their table (i.e. zh only) if that is what they want.
Tevra

Post by Tevra »

In my gaming experience online, regardless of game, admin/host etc does the minimum required in regards to creating a game lobby to play.
It holds true here as well, many people create games and dont want any "strong" players but "apprentice" and "average" and sometimes "good" is ok because they want the casual fun experience but they don't set the requirements as such.
As far as I see only competitive people actually use it in the lobby creation, "strong" players sets the requirement of "good and better" which is excellent, they get the experience they want.

If there was a way to for the zh players to set the requirement that people speak mandarin most wouldn't use it because on the internet, most people, all over the world, are lazy and casual by nature and it would require effort which we don't generally have. Years of online gaming have shown this to be the norm. This is why I asked for a way to filter hosts of a language, since giving the hosts the option wouldn't solve the issue.

We can already filter out games, "games i cant join" button is very visible. I thought adding a personal filter to exclude hosts would make sense and actually work and baked into that maybe.

tldr No extra powers as host, only as player browsing open tables.

Just today ive been kicked from 4 incan gold games which prompted me to come back and read. Two of them i waited for several minutes, the other two I joined in the 5th and 6th slot (out of 8) and was kicked pretty much at once which is fine. Japanese player and me in the first, an italian and german player and me in the second. Its infuriating.
Yorgad

Post by Yorgad »

Hello,

From my gaming experience, rather than having a filter (which might indeed solve the issue raised by OP), I would recommend using the "Presentation" option in the table configuration panel (on the left when table is created) to advise on language requirements (or anything else).
I noticed this option is not well known neither used by the community and may need to be a little more visible?

https://imgur.com/a/Ri81R

Cheers,
Y.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Yorgad wrote:Hello,

From my gaming experience, rather than having a filter (which might indeed solve the issue raised by OP), I would recommend using the "Presentation" option in the table configuration panel (on the left when table is created) to advise on language requirements (or anything else).
I noticed this option is not well known neither used by the community and may need to be a little more visible?

https://imgur.com/a/Ri81R

Cheers,
Y.
It would probably go a long way by not calling it "presentation." That really doesn't have a logical meaning within the context. It's a place for Comments or some word like that. I don't remember the old invitation form very well, before that box was over to the left, but it seemed easier to understand. If I hadn't already known that space existed, I'm not sure I would have figured out what its use was.

Return to “Discussions”