Most complex game

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
JehanBon

Most complex game

Post by JehanBon »

Maybe this discussion already took place many times.
I'am curious to know what is the most complex and deep board game?
Chess? go? something else?
Jest Phulin

Re: Most complex game

Post by Jest Phulin »

With your examples, you might want to define what you mean by "complex" and "deep."

Go, for example, really only has a few rules. (Place a stone, remove stones that are completely enclosed. Repeat until both sides agree the game is over.) This makes it with virtually no complexity, if defining complexity as knowledge of rules. Depth of play, though, is another matter.

Chess is much more complex. Each of the 6 pieces has its own unique movement, with pawns having unique movement between capturing and non-capturing moves (and even more with the en-passant ability), with some pieces moving in pairs (castling). This makes learning the rules much harder, and therefore more complex. Based on when computers were able to defeat humans (and how it was accomplished) chess is not as deep as go, though.

As far as games on this site, check out the "for core gamers" section in the game list (https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamelist)
For general games, watch the flame wars on BoardGameGeek :)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I would say first that I don't think just the rules of Chess are that hard. I learned them when I was a kid, though it probably wasn't until I was a young adult and decided to try to get into the game more than I learned the last of all the rules (like en passant), but I didn't think those were a big deal. (And I only barely started getting into the game unfortunately, because there wasn't much of anyone to play with and get any practice, especially someone patient enough to wait on me. :lol: So it went by the wayside.) But I do think it's pretty complex in terms of strategy.

I too think it would be good to define complex and deep if you want to have any interesting conversation about it. Although defining those could be part of the conversation.

And I probably don't know enough games, especially complex games, to contribute much, which is a shame. There's not nearly enough interesting conversations around here that are just for the sake of conversation.
JehanBon

Post by JehanBon »

By deep I mean game who offers the most in term of strategy and possibilitys.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Go
Chess
Xiangqi
Dungeon Twister
Hive

These are probably among the games with the most strategy and possibilities.
JehanBon

Post by JehanBon »

Would you add draught/checker to the list?
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

JehanBon wrote:Would you add draught/checker to the list?
Checkers has comparably few possible moves and even fewer viable moves. So with the criteria you stated, no, I would not.
JehanBon

Post by JehanBon »

N_Faker wrote:
JehanBon wrote:Would you add draught/checker to the list?
Checkers has comparably few possible moves and even fewer viable moves. So with the criteria you stated, no, I would not.

I'am pretty surprise you put hive before checker.

Is there a study somewhere about board game ou give a classement of the most deep and complex game?
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

JehanBon wrote:Is there a study somewhere about board game ou give a classement of the most deep and complex game?
Not that I'm aware of.
That list is based on the the criteria of "strategy and possibilities" and not necessarily of what I would consider "deep and complex". It is also a quickly assembled list of the games on BGA in which I at least have some experience in, to serve as a starting point for whatever discussion you seem to desire.
JehanBon wrote:I'am pretty surprise you put hive before checker.
How come?
JehanBon

Post by JehanBon »

I will make some game of "hive" but it doesn't seems a game with a lot of possibilitys and freedom of strategy.

Return to “Discussions”