The wait times between messages is out of control

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Keepy

The wait times between messages is out of control

Post by Keepy »

I've been a member two years, and while I don't feel that entitles me to anything I do want to voice my opinion that the wait times between messages are excessive to the point of being anti-community. I don't mean to sound dramatic, but consider the default message in the chat field. It says "chat with everyone" not "for requesting games/players only," yet it is impossible to hold a conversation that the whole community can be a part of with the current system forcing excessive wait times.

The old system with 30-second intervals felt less restrictive, more fair. I understand that a few people were said to have abused the chat, but I think these cases were by and large isolated. However, the measures that were taken in response to these abusers has hampered the community's ability to, well, be a community in all the important senses of the word.

I don't know what abuses went on exactly, but I bet if anyone violates the rules, as far as harsh, threatening language they could still be flagged and banned. For my part, I will fully admit to using the group chat to engage with people in all sorts of ways (most of them ridiculous), but if you've seen those interactions, often people come out of the woodwork and attempt to join in on the fun. That is, until the time limit boxes us out.

I hope the moderators of this site will see fit to giving the the old 30-second rule another shot. It made the website a much more interesting place in between games.

Thanks for reading,

Keepy Bartholomew Kattus Pippastump XIV
Last edited by Keepy on 22 March 2018, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Re: The wait times between messages is out of control

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

Thanks for your message.

In fact the delay between the 2 first messages is 30 seconds like it was before. However, it increases afterwards if you post messages too often.

General chat has been designed to be used from time to time, and there is really no need to post here often.

There are +2000 players connected on this website anytime, and you cannot "unsubscribe" this general chat, so for sure we need rules to make sure everyone use it carefully.

Note that there are not limits for group chats, so you can create a group with players who want to chat with you and discuss without limit :)

Hope this helps.
Liallan

Re: The wait times between messages is out of control

Post by Liallan »

Just jumping in as someone who is annoyed by the chat. Probably 95% of what I see on there is people looking for players for the invitations they put out. I get a little tired of constantly reading these, because I don't play live and I don't care, so seeing "2 more for Stone Age!!!! PLEASE JOIN!!!!" 10 times in a row is just extremely annoying. I don't know that I've ever seen abuse of the sort like rudeness, language or that sort of thing. But people were posting "please come join my game" just over and over and over, and it amounted to just spamming.

And has been said, we can't turn it off. So something needs to cut down on the spam.

And from my observance, it would be difficult to use to just carry on conversations with people. There are private chats.

Return to “Discussions”