Can someone explain me why someone conceeds in his final turn?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
nandblock

Re: Can someone explain me why someone conceeds in his final turn?

Post by nandblock »

What's the problem with conceding? Sometimes it's just not worth the charade of playing the turn out e.g. by making totally random moves. It is common practice for chess players to concede in matches, it's hardly "childish".
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

The act of conceding itself isn't being discussed as childish. It's the act of conceding on the last turn, when it is just as easy to make a move (and especially without saying anything).
Teoki

Post by Teoki »

There are many games with luck involved. If someone is winning a game despite many wrong moves why should I write a "gg" or "well played"? I just concede the game without any (negative) comment.

In the last turn of games like Seasons your opponent sometimes plays a card that makes you realize both you lost and it will take a while to complete his turn. Conceding should be considered a good option.

I consider many games a mental challenge. If the result of the game is already set, the challenge is over.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Teoki wrote:There are many games with luck involved. If someone is winning a game despite many wrong moves why should I write a "gg" or "well played"? I just concede the game without any (negative) comment.
It's common courtesy.
Teoki wrote:In the last turn of games like Seasons your opponent sometimes plays a card that makes you realize both you lost and it will take a while to complete his turn. Conceding should be considered a good option.
Or if it is the last turn you could just leave the table and let your opponent complete their turn in peace.
Teoki

Post by Teoki »

N_Faker wrote:It's common courtesy.
hypocritical:"behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case."

If someone didn't play well, it would be unthuthful to write it and if the reason was just an idea of common courtesy it would literally be hypocritical.
Silene wrote:In Go (especially real life) it is kinda rude to not resign when you are far behind so some people might resign at the last moment to (even if late) at least show they realized they're losing. So it might be be an act of acknowledging their loss and showing you, you are the well-deserved winner of the game.
I agree with that eastern idea of respect avoiding to waste both my time and my opponent's time.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Teoki wrote:
N_Faker wrote:It's common courtesy.
hypocritical:"behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case."

If someone didn't play well, it would be unthuthful to write it and if the reason was just an idea of common courtesy it would literally be hypocritical.
Sometimes, words aren't used for their literal meaning.

Return to “Discussions”