Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
TFKyoshiro

Question, red thumb on inactive player?

Post by TFKyoshiro »

Hi guys,
so I was in a turn based Table of Hearts.
One of the players didn't do anything (not even 1st turn), he didn't also pass the first 3 cards.
I've waited the whole 5 days and I got the option to skip this player.
When I did click on skip player, it didn't really skip the player, I guess the game is then softlocked because it is not programmed to pass 3 cards at the beginning.
Anyway, it said I can safely quit the game without a penalty.
I did that and I wanted to use the BGA feature of a red thumb down, so that I can't play with this player anymore and possibly warn other players (this player had a single game on record with a leave).
Then I get a red message saying:
"You have not played with this player recently, so you can't affect their reputation."
Well, technically I did play with that player, he just didn't do anything, yet I still can't thumb down him, but then this system is really flawed, as such inactive players can easily evade/dodge red thumbs. (Or I don't understand the system how it works).
So can someone explain to me how I can thumb down him and use the "I don't want to play with this player anymore." feature?
Thanks in advance.
N_Faker

Re: Question, red thumb on inactive player?

Post by N_Faker »

Wrong error message.

Beginners can't be thumbed down, if my memory doesn't fail me.
-
Actually, this may be because the table hasn't ended yet.
TFKyoshiro

Post by TFKyoshiro »

Hm, ok, but what is the chance that the table will end?
In other games, when there were inactive players and they got "kicked/skiped" the game skipped them and everything continued normally, but I guess the game hasn't been programmed to pass 3 cards by a computer opponent so it is always this player's turn as the game can not progress like that.

The system has a flaw then, I can understand thumbing down a first time player is not allowed (ex. because he is bad or doesn't know the game), no problem with that, but if a player just doesn't do anything at all, he should be thumb downable, no matter if its his first game or not.
I'd rather play a team game with a first timer who does everything wrong and I loose, rather than someone who doesn't play at all, not even a single round...

Also quick question, how did you find the table I was referring to? (and you even linked it)
I went under my profile under recent activity and also games played and couldn't find that table :(
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gameinp ... 272922&all

You mentioned an abandoned hearts game, and as it wasn't in your game history, it had to be in your active games.
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

I don't think that we will see this player here again, so no real need to give him the thumb.
More important is why the game did not manage to skip the player, there seem to be problems with time-out zombies.
TFKyoshiro

Post by TFKyoshiro »

@N_Faker
Ah, thanks, when I go on my "play now -> games in progress" I only see 7 games,
https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gameinprogress
though I guess mine is just a link that leads to whatever profile I am logged on it.
On your link there is my player id and when I follow it, it does say 8 in progress, strange, now I need to writ down my player id being 84272922 and adding &all behind on my side to see my games ^^

@DrKarotte
I don't know what "time-out zombies" are, but I think I do recall also getting a message about time-out zombies when I attempted to skip the turn of the player.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

TFKyoshiro wrote:
You get to the link I posted by going to your player profile and clicking on the active games there.

That link also lists games which have yet to start and games you have left but have yet to end.
-
Zombie players are players which quit or were kicked from the table.
Some(most?) games have zombie players implemented which allow the remaining players to complete the game if they wish, by automatically skipping the zombies turn or by making rudimentary moves.
ringersoll

Post by ringersoll »

You can still make a personal note about the player so that you never play with him/her again
TFKyoshiro

Post by TFKyoshiro »

Wow, I can navigate through BGA a lot easier now ^^ thank you for the info everyone!
I finally found where to get the info N_Faker, thanks :!:
I never knew I could write notes for myself about other players ringersoll, I'll give it a try, thanks :!:
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Hearts can't be played with 3 players. It doesn't literally make moves for the skipped player - it just skips them. But that isn't going to happen in Hearts.

What is a little weird is that you and another player have also quit the game leaving only 1 player. The game should just stop at that point and make 3 of you winners. Not sure what's wrong there. You may have to wait for it to time out, meaning just try to ignore it.

What a surprise - that player is from Taiwan. For reasons I have no clue about, they seem to have the worst record for disappearing from games. My guess is s/he won't be back anyway.

Return to “Discussions”