Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
chakhal

Subscription automatic renewal

Post by chakhal »

Hi

After subscribing for 1 month premium, I noticed that the subscription was automatically renewed.
Although this is quite common with online services, this was not specifically written when I did the purchase.
I have looked around the website but still I can not find information about this.

Is this legal?
Liallan

Re: Subscription automatic renewal

Post by Liallan »

In what country?

Legal or not, I think it's a lousy business practice. And this information should not be hidden somewhere or force you to look around everywhere on the site. I went into the premium membership thing, went to the 1 month, clicked on the Go Premium, and all it had was spaces for my credit card information. On that same page it lists the privileges of the membership.

But nowhere does it state, nor imply, that this will be renewed automatically, and it should not be without your permission or a checkbox that you can undo or whatever. You might want to check any emails or other messages you got after you made that payment and see if that says anything, and if it gave a way to not automatically renew. (Obviously I'm not going to test this part.)

Following from someone in the U.S., couldn't speak for any place else: Keep in mind you should be able to not pay that on your credit card bill and protest it if you don't want to pay it. If the site doesn't say anything, then you don't have a contract stating they are allowed to do this. Being "common" doesn't change anything. (And it is far too common. I detest things that automatically renew and I scrutinize things pretty carefully before hitting that final button.)
chakhal

Post by chakhal »

Board Game Arena belongs to AD2G Studio, a French company.

In France, automatic renewal rules are defined in "la loi Chatel" of 2008, which basically says:
For the automatic renewal of the contract to be possible it is necessary that the initial contract provides for a clause of tacit renewal.

They clearly failed at that...
chakhal

Post by chakhal »

I contacted them about this issue, they said they are going to have a look and make necessary corrections.
Wait and see...
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Thanks both of you for the clarification.

We are a (very) small structure so I have to admit that the Premium subscription page hasn't been reviewed by a lawyer. Our subscription page is strongly inspired by similar services (Spotify, Netflix, and few other ones). The idea is that if they are doing this, it should be a good idea to do this (ie: it is legal and efficient). I totally understand that some players like Lilian do not like the idea, but some other players ASKED for this (they were annoyed to have to enter they Credit Card number every time they renewed) so we had to make a choice, and choose to do like 99% of the other online services.

We explicitly say in the Premium page that this is a "membership" with a cost per month (ex: 2$ / month), that you can "cancel any time", and you have to click on a "Subscribe" button after entering your payment infos. After that, a "You subscribe a Premium partnership: 2$ / mois" is written, with a Cancel button.

We'll review all of this and see if there is a legal issue or if we can make it more explicit.

Thanks again for your feedback.
guustavf

Post by guustavf »

Although I would like to, I have not gone premium yet. Perhaps a Paypal link or a merchant interface could be considered?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Please use "more payment option" at the bottom of the payment buttons, and choose Paypal.
guustavf

Post by guustavf »

Thank you! Now done :D
crouik

Post by crouik »

It's time for me to renew my membership, but I no longer see the option to pay for one year without automatic renewal.

Can you please explain what I need to do to be able to renew my one year membership?

Return to “Discussions”