Game getting Abandoned

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
sunmachine

Game getting Abandoned

Post by sunmachine »

Hi, my friends and I are trying to set up a turn based game but every time we do, the message "Game Abandoned" occurs. Does it time out if all players have not joined in time?

I'm in the UK and some of my friends are in Australia so it's not always possible for them to join immediately.
N_Faker

Re: Game getting Abandoned

Post by N_Faker »

If all table slots aren't filled you have to manually start it, or it will time out after... 3 days? (not sure, but it is quite a while)
If all open slots are filled the game will automatically start.

So check up on any tables you have opened here: https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gameinp ... 632863&all
It is accessed through your profile "Playing now at:" link.

Yes... both of these things should probably be improved upon.
Like automatically starting turn-based tables instead of auto-abandoning if the minimum desired number of players is reached.
And having this page also show open tables which haven't started yet.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

These are timing out far quicker. Less than an hour most times. Players following the email link saying they have been invited are getting the "Game Abandoned" message. I wonder if I am doing something wrong. I have the pre-game screen, with a list of the players that have been invited and a note next to each saying "Player X has yet to join", do I need to do anything else? At present, these games are abandoning in way less time than 3 days... like I say usually less than 1 hr.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Leaving a real-time table will automatically abandon it.

I'm not sure what is happening, but they should remain up for far longer than 1 hour. Server issues may close tables.
How frequently has this happened? Maybe it was just something occasional that caused it?
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

I tired once today. Previously, one of my friends tried 3 or 4 times with the same result.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Did you open the table?

I have no idea what the timeout is for closed tables, but I would assume it is shorter than an open table.

"Open" a table with the red button at the top, it is that which enables the table to auto start. If the table is still closed it won't start automatically even if the table is full.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

"Open" a table with the red button at the top"

That was it! We all thought that would open the game up to the world rather than our personal group, so never pressed it and thus the game timed out after 20 mins or so.

Thanks!
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

sunmachine wrote:That was it! We all thought that would open the game up to the world rather than our personal group...
It does. Set the restrictions so only those you want to join, can.

Click on the "Restrict table access" blue lettered button to the upper right of the "Players at this Table" window/section
-
I see that you found the settings.
Have fun.

Return to “Discussions”